Anna Perlmutter is a researcher and consultant working to effect positive, systemic change in mission-based organizational networks. For over a decade, Anna has worked at the intersections of research and practice to explore the dynamics of inter-organizational collaboration, leveraged technology and infrastructure, shared resources, and work-place coordination and co-production in complex cross-sector systems. As a current Ph.D. candidate in Organizational Behavior at Case Western Reserve University’s Weatherhead School of Management, she is focused on improving the capacity of social mission organizations, particularly those engaging in multi-stakeholder, whole-systems change efforts. Prior to beginning her doctoral studies, Anna was Research and Development Specialist at the Relational Coordination Research Collaborative (RCRC) at the Heller School and has served on the Research Advisory Board for the RCRC for the past several years. Anna received an MBA in Nonprofit Management at Brandeis University's Heller School for Social Policy and Management and a BA in Literature at New College of Florida. She lives in Cleveland, OH with her husband, child, three cats, and a few hundred traveling couch-surfing guests who come through town each year.Personal Website
MBA, Brandeis University, Heller School for Social Policy and Management, 2012
BA, New College of Florida, 2004
Interests and Courses
My research explores the impact of collaborative infrastructure on social support for resilient, mission-driven organizations and the role of capacity building organizations in driving complex sector change. My goal is to contribute to theoretical and empirical understandings of how structural innovations and new practices that emerge from collaborative networks create value and contribute to healthy organizations. Shared resources, improved knowledge-management systems, interdisciplinary teams, and inter-organizational coordination are examples of such structural innovations that create long-term value for all stakeholders and can catalyze social innovation and broader institutional change. My work is dedicated to studying the connection between social and structural supports in mission-driven organizations and examines how relationships affect perceptions of value for systemic-level capacity building efforts and investments in the social sector. I propose that with the right combination of design and dissemination, such alliances and tools can catalyze change that is not only sustained, but also systemic and transformational.
Recent Courses and SyllabiCourse evaluation ratings (login required)
- Perlmutter, A. R. Academy of Management Annual Conference, "Building Ties that Bind: Hub Firms and Collaborative Capacity in Inter-Organizational Networks", Academy of Management, (2016).
- Rochford, K. C., Perlmutter, A. R., Wei, H. Southern Management Association, "Taking stock of partial least squares: What it is and is not", Research Methods, St Pete Beach Florida. (2015).
- Perlmutter, A. R., Mannen, D. (Chair/Co-Chair), Heaphy, E. (Discussant), Lee, S. (Discussant), Furnari, S. (Presenter & Author), Stephens, J. (Presenter & Author), Meier, N. (Presenter & Author), Hoffer Gittell, J. (Presenter & Author) Academy of Management Annual Conference, "Physicality of Relational Processes: Spaces and the Interactions Between Them", Academy of Management, Vancouver, BC. (2015).
- Perlmutter, A. R., Hoffer Gittell, J. (Chair/Co-Chair), Hansen, E. (Chair/Co-Chair), Edmondson, A. (Panelist/Discussant), Bailyn, L. (Panelist/Discussant), Kellogg, K. (Panelist/Discussant), Schein, E. (Panelist/Discussant), Bernstein, E. (Panelist/Discussant) Academy of Management Annual Conference, "Creating Relational and Organizational Change: Past, Present, and Future of Intervention Research", Academy of Management, Philadelphia, PA. (2014).
Academic and Professional Activities
- Southern Management Association Member. 2015 - Present
- Academy of Management. 2013 - Present
- Committee Member, ORBH Department Activities Planning Committee,, 2016 - 2017
- Board of Advisors of a Company, Relational Coordination Research Collaborative - Research Advisory Board Member, 2016 - Present
- Committee Chair, Graduate Student Senate Diekhoff Selection Committee, 2015 - 2016
- Committee Chair, Graduate Student Senate Mentoring and Awards Committee, 2015 - 2016