Anna Perlmutter is a researcher and consultant working to effect positive, systemic change in mission-based organizational networks. For over sixteen years, Anna has worked at the intersections of research and practice to explore the dynamics of inter-organizational collaboration, leveraged technology and infrastructure, shared resources, and work-place coordination and co-production in complex cross-sector systems. As a Doctoral Candidate in Organizational Behavior at Case Western Reserve University’s Weatherhead School of Management, she is focused on improving the capacity of social mission organizations, particularly those engaging in multi-stakeholder, whole-systems change efforts. Anna received an MBA in Nonprofit Management at Brandeis University's Heller School for Social Policy and Management and a BA in Literature at New College of Florida. She lives in Cleveland, OH with her husband and two young children.
MBA, Brandeis University, Heller School for Social Policy and Management, 2012
BA, New College of Florida, 2004
My work explores the impact of collaborative infrastructure on support for resilient, mission-driven organizations and the role of capacity building organizations in driving complex sector change. My goal is to understand how organizational structures, innovations, and new practices that emerge from collaborative networks create value and contribute to healthy organizations and the communities they serve. Shared resources, improved knowledge-management systems, interdisciplinary teams, and inter-organizational coordination are examples of such structural innovations that create long-term value for stakeholders and can catalyze social innovation and broader sector-wide transformation.<br><br>My current research explores these topics in the context of the low-income rental housing market in Cleveland, Ohio. Through the lens of organizational theory and behavioral frameworks, I am scanning the complex landscape of low-income rental housing in order to understand the types of institutional logics and relational practices that might enable more coordinated, mutually reinforcing, and equitable resource distribution across the multi-sector rental housing sphere.
I teach on topics related to capacity building, program design, and organizational governance in the nonprofit sector; career building in public/nonprofit fields; social justice and community organizing topics; housing policy; public-nonprofit partnerships & collaboration; organizational behavior theory and practice topics related to policy, mission-driven, and community institutional networks, Relational Coordination, Institutional Logics, and other areas of interest and relevance to my work.
Recent Courses and SyllabiCourse evaluation ratings (login required)
- Perlmutter, A. R. Academy of Management Annual Conference,
"Building Ties that Bind: Hub Firms and Collaborative Capacity in Inter-Organizational Networks",
Academy of Management,
- Rochford, K. C., Perlmutter, A. R., Wei, H. Southern Management Association,
"Taking stock of partial least squares: What it is and is not",
St Pete Beach Florida.
- Perlmutter, A. R., Mannen, D. (Chair/Co-Chair), Heaphy, E. (Discussant), Lee, S. (Discussant), Furnari, S. (Presenter & Author), Stephens, J. (Presenter & Author), Meier, N. (Presenter & Author), Hoffer Gittell, J. (Presenter & Author) Academy of Management Annual Conference,
"Physicality of Relational Processes: Spaces and the Interactions Between Them",
Academy of Management,
- Perlmutter, A. R., Hoffer Gittell, J. (Chair/Co-Chair), Hansen, E. (Chair/Co-Chair), Edmondson, A. (Panelist/Discussant), Bailyn, L. (Panelist/Discussant), Kellogg, K. (Panelist/Discussant), Schein, E. (Panelist/Discussant), Bernstein, E. (Panelist/Discussant) Academy of Management Annual Conference,
"Creating Relational and Organizational Change: Past, Present, and Future of Intervention Research",
Academy of Management,
- Lead Safe Cleveland Coalition. 2018 - Present
- Founding member, Equitable Landlording Collaborative. 2018 - Present
- Board of Directors, Vice President, Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization. 2017 - Present
- Midwest Academy of Management. 2015 - Present
- Southern Management Association Member. 2015 - Present
- Academy of Management. 2013 - Present
- Board Member, Chair of Nominating Committee, Heller School for Social Policy and Management Alumni Board. 2013 - 2020
- Grassroots Grantmakers Network. 2012 - Present
- Research Advisory Board member, Relational Coordination Research Collaborative . 2012 - 2020
- Committee Member, ORBH Department Activities Planning Committee,, 2016 - 2017
- Board of Advisors of a Company, Relational Coordination Research Collaborative - Research Advisory Board Member, 2016 - 2020
- Committee Chair, Graduate Student Senate Diekhoff Selection Committee, 2015 - 2016
- Committee Chair, Graduate Student Senate Mentoring and Awards Committee, 2015 - 2016