The research edge
Posted 2.22.07In this job market, you need to make sure you have every advantage. Thorough research is one of the key ingredients to an effective job search.
In this job market, you need to make sure you have every advantage. Thorough research is one of the key ingredients to an effective job search.
- Know your industry and profession -– become a member of your professional or industry association; subscribe to mailing lists and publications; regularly check industry news; attend conferences and workshops. The more you know, the more attractive you will be to an employer.
- Learn about your target organizations -– Do detailed regular research on each company or organization on your target list (first, you should have a target list). Who are their executives? What has their stock been doing? Who are their competitors? What are their product lines and how do they market? You might learn that they are developing a new business and get in on the ground floor. You may learn of recent openings in the company. And, on an interview, you'll impress the hiring manager with your knowledge.
- Understand professional requirements –- know the certifications and education needed to stay competitive in your market, and then get the training you need. Find out about typical salary ranges for your geographic area to help you negotiate your salary package.
DID YOU KNOW...?
On CareerTools MBA you can find research tools to help you prepare for your job search. Click on "Research Resources" to find many important Internet resources.
- Under "Corporate Research" you'll find corporate information, annual reports, ranking lists, and industry analyses.
- Click on "Personalized News" to sign up for e-mail news for your interests and needs.
- "Articles and Publications" will enable you to find journals, newspapers, and magazine links.
- "Other Resources" is where you'll find a variety of helpful tools such as salary research, relocation calculators, industry organizations, and governmental guides.
CareerTools is a career management site provided to you by the Weatherhead Career Development Center, in partnership with Lee Hecht Harrison, the world's leading career consulting organization.