Weatherhead Press and Recognition
Posted 4.20.06Weatherhead students, alumni, and faculty are often interviewed for print, radio and online publications or receive recognition and awards. Weatherheadlines will use this newly created section to report on such coverage.
Weatherhead students, alumni, and faculty are often interviewed for print, radio and online publications or receive recognition and awards. Here are some highlights from this month.
Faculty, Staff and Students
- Sergey Anokhin (Doctoral Student, MAPS) was awarded the DeForest, Koscelnik, Yokitis, & Kaplan Award for an outstanding graduate research poster at Research ShowCASE. Sergey’s poster was titled, “Balancing Corporate VC and Internal R&D in the Context of Corporate Innovation” and is co-authored with Bill Schulze. Sergey also won an award—the Thompson Hine award--at last year's Research ShowCASE.
- Michel Avital, assistant professor of information systems, has been selected to receive the 2006 Baker-Nord Scholarship award to advance interdisciplinary research on information.
- Diana Bilimoria, associate professor of organizational behavior, was quoted in The Seattle Times about starting on the right foot when becoming the boss.
- Richard Boland, professor of information systems and accountancy, spoke at the 6th Social Study of IT workshop in March at the London School of Economics.
- Richard Boyatzis, professor of organizational behavior and co-author of Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion,was recently featured in the current issue of HRWire. He will also be the keynote speaker at the West Virginia Leadership Conference on May 3-4.
- Avi Dor, associate professor of economics, participated in a March press conference and TV interview in Columbus as an expert on behalf of a joint task force of GlaxoSmithKline and Ohio Health Network , a patient advocacy group. The subject was issues of low adherence with medical guidelines in the U.S and related to his research on prescription drug compliance. Press include an article in The Columbus Dispatch and a post on NBC. He also hosted about 20 students from an Israeli high school in the city of Beit She'an that was highlighted in the Cleveland Jewish News.
- J.B. Silvers, professor of finance and faculty director of the Health Systems Management Center, discussed Massachusetts’ new law to mandate health insurance for its residents on WCPN on April 14.
- Scott Shane, the professor of entrepreneurial studies and economics, and colleagues at the Tanaka School of Business of Imperial College and the Twin Research & Genetic Epidemiology Unit at St. Thomas' Hospital in London were featured in a Crain's Cleveland about their study of twins and self-employment.
Work of the following Weatherhead faculty and students was featured in the annual edition of The Value of Research, a publication that offers "evidence of the profound social, economic, and cultural impact that [research] has on our world:"
- J.B. Silvers, professor of banking and finance, Jagdip Singh, professor of marketing, and Detelina Marinova, assistant professor of marketing with Leona Cuttler from the Case School of Medicine, for "Expansive Medical Treatments: What Influences How They Are Chosen?"
- Timothy Fogarty, professor of accountancy, for "Ensuring Accountability in the Financial and Corporate World."
- Susan Helper, professor of economics, and Marcus Stanley, assistant professor of economics, for "Identifying Critical Issues Facing Industry Today."
- Jun Ye, Ph.D candidate in the department of marketing and policy studeis, for "The New Competitive Advantage: Customer Relationships."
- The October 2006 global forum Business as an Agent of World Benefit: Management Knowledge Leading Positive Change has started to receive some early press, including an April 23rd article> written by the Cleveland Plain Dealer's business editor, Paul O'Donnell, as well as an article in AScribe The Public Interest Newsletter.
- Weatherhead's annual Casino Night event was featured in the Plain Dealer and in Cleveland Magazine. The event raised raise nearly $10,000 for the year's chosen charity, Junior Achievement.
- The April 10th lecture by C.K. Prahalad, the honorary co-chair of the BAWB Global forum and University of Michigan professor who recently wrote "The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: Eradicating Poverty Through Profits" (Wharton School Publishing, 2005) was featured in a 2-page spread in Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- Weatherhead's Master of Science in Management - Liberal Arts Program was mentioned in a FT.com article about new degree programs. It was also featured in the Case weekly newspaper, The Observer.
- The winners of the $100K Innovation Challenge@Case were reported in the Plain Dealer and the finalists in Crain's Cleveland Business. The business plan competition was organized by Weatherhead's Entrepreneurship Club and co-sponsored by The Institute for Management and Engineering.