William Mahnic, MBA, is associate professor of banking and finance at Weatherhead School of Management. Initially appointed in 1992, Mahnic teaches courses including Advanced Seminar; Corporate Finance; Global Banking and Capital Markets; Money and Banking; Investments; and Mergers and Acquisitions.
From 1985 to 2007, Mahnic worked in the Capital Markets Group at National City Corporation. He served as a Senior Vice President in the Mergers & Acquisitions Group for 10 years, advising small- and medium-sized businesses on valuation, debt structuring and private equity structuring. Mahnic was involved in over 50 M&A transactions during this period of time.
Mahnic worked in the Derivative Products Group for over nine years. As a Senior Vice President, Mahnic structured interest rate and currency derivative contracts for privately-held and publicly-traded businesses. During his time in this group, Mahnic closed over 500 hedging contracts.
A frequent guest speaker and commentator, Mahnic has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, and the Los Angeles Times. He has appeared on China Central TV and is a frequent commentator on National Public Radio’s Market Place program. His speaking engagements have included Women Investing Together, Kohler Investment Group and Solon Chamber of Commerce. He is a weekly commentator on personal finance for WDOK FM in Cleveland. As a financial analyst, Mahnic is a frequent guest at Crain's Cleveland Business, Cleveland; The Washington Post; WEWS, Channel 5, Cleveland; and WKYC, Channel 3 TV, Cleveland; and is a guest financial commentator at WKSU FM, Kent, Ohio.
Mahnic is the founding faculty advisor for the Case Western Reserve University Capital Club, which manages and invests over $400,000 of Case Western Reserve Endowment Funds. CWRU Capital is the stock investment club for Weatherhead undergraduates.
Mahnic received his MBA from Case Western Reserve University. He is a two-time recipient of the Excellence in Teaching – Undergraduate Studies award at Weatherhead (2013 and 2014), and a two-time nominee for the Carl F. Wittke Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching. Mahnic is a trustee and on the board of advisors for Holy Name High School, Parma Heights, Ohio.
Initially Appointed: 1992
Recent Courses and SyllabiCourse evaluation ratings (login required)
- Mahnic, W. (Presenter Only)
"Meet The Faculty",
""Causes of the Global Credit Crisis of 2008"",
Bingham Hall - CWRU Main Campus.
- Guest Speaker, WCPN 90.3 FM - National Public Radio, Cleveland, Ohio, 2011
- Guest Speaker, "Life Unscripted", The Village at 115, Cleveland, Ohio, 2011
- Guest Speaker, WKYC TV - Channel 3 - "The Good Company Show", Cleveland, Ohio, 2011
- Guest Speaker, WKYC Channel 3 - "The Good Company Show", Cleveland, Ohio, 2011
- Committee Member, UGIS New Course Development Committee ("Course X"), 2010 - Present
- Committee Member, WSOM Undergraduate Cirriculum Review Committee, 2010 - Present
- Committee Chair, BAFI Practitoners Seminar Series, 2010
- Guest Speaker, Alumni Weekend 2010, 2010
- Reviewer, Book, Financial Markets & Institutions, Mishkin& Eakins, 7th Edition, 2011, Pearson Publishing , Cleveland, Ohio, 2010
- Guest Speaker, Women Investing Together ("WIT"), Cleveland Heights, Ohio, 2010
- Guest Speaker, Broadview Hts. Ohio Chamber of Commerce, Broadview Heights, Ohio, 2010
- Guest Speaker, CWRU School Of Nursing, Cleveland, Ohio, 2010
- Guest Speaker, Lakewood Early Childhood Education PTA, Lakewood, Ohio, 2010
- Committee Member, WSOM Undergraduate and Integrated Study Program Services Committee, 2009 - Present
- Committee Member, WSOM Undergraduate & Integrated Study Program Services Committee, 2009 - 2010
- Guest Speaker, Solon Chamber of Commerce, Solon, Ohio, 2009 - 2010
- Guest Speaker, Kohler Investment Group, Cleveland, Ohio, 2009
- Guest Speaker, Holy Name High School, Parma Hts., Ohio, 2009
- Weekly Commentator On Personal Finance, WDOK, FM 102.1, Cleveland, Ohio, 2008 - Present
- Guest Finanical Analyst, Crain's Cleveland Business, Clevleand, Ohio, 2008 - Present
- Guest Financial Analyst, The Washington Post, Washington D.C., 2008 - Present
- Guest Commentator, WCPN, Radio Station 90.3 FM, Cleveland, Ohio, 2008 - Present
- Guest Financial Analyst, WEWS, Channel 5, Cleveland, Ohio, 2008 - Present
- Guest Financial Commentator, WKSU, Radio 89.7FM, Akron, Ohio, 2008 - Present
- Guest Financial Analyst, WKYC, Channel 3 TV, Cleveland, Ohio, 2008 - Present
- Nominated For the Carl F. Wittke Award, WSOM - Undergraduate School. (2010).