Scott Fine, MBA, is a former strategic consultant, investment banker, public company CFO and private equity business owner. As such, Fine understands value creation as advisor, manager and owner. His background guides his research, where he works to answer several key questions. How does value get created? How is a firm’s financial strategy and corporate strategy linked? How has the shift in company decision-making power from corporate owners to private equity and hedge fund investors altered the way value is created and distributed? Fine’s research focuses on developing classroom materials, including case studies, and internal papers addressing these questions. Appointed to Weatherhead School of Management in 2003, Fine’s has taught over a dozen different courses across most of the school’s programs. Current courses include Cases in Finance, Contemporary Issues in Management, Corporate Finance, and Financial Strategy and Value Creation and Projects in Corporate Finance.
Fine has served on the board of directors of many for-profit companies and not-for-profit institutions, including, currently, EGC Enterprises, the Chautauqua Hotel Company and Moreland Courts Condominium Association.. Fine’s academic roles have included that of faculty advisor and mentor. He has also provided service to the school and the University, including in a number of leadership positions.
At the University level, he has been nominated for the J. Bruce Jackson, MD, Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Mentoring, the Carl F. Wittke Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence and was awarded the USG Undergraduate Teaching Award. He has also received school level teaching excellence awards at the undergraduate and graduate level. Fine received his MBA from Stanford University after completion of his BA at Cornell University.
MBA, Stanford University, 1986
BA, Cornell University, 1982
Interests and Courses
Recent Courses and Syllabi
- Cases in Finance
- Financial Strategy and Value Creation
- Projects in Corporate Finance
- Financial Strategies and Value Creation
- Contemporary Issues in Management
- Corporate Finance
Academic and Professional Activities
- Committee Chair, Moreland Courts Condominium Association, 2016 - Present
- Committee Member, Chautauqua Institution, Chautauqua, NY, 2016 - Present
- Board Member, EGC Enterprises, Inc., Chardon, Ohio, 2014 - Present
- Mentor, Provost Scholars Program, 2013 - Present
- Faculty Advisor, ACG M&A Competition, 2012 - 2013
- Faculty Advisor, Deloitte Consulting "Battle of Oho" Competition, 2012
- Committee Member, Undergraduate Student Life Committee, 2012 - 2015
- Board Member, Chautauqua Hotel Company, Chautauqua, NY, 2012 - Present
- Board Member, Mars Electric, Inc., Willoughby, OH, 2012 - 2014
- Faculty Advisor, CFA Global Research Challenge, 2011 - 2012
- Faculty Advisor, ACG Cup, 2011
- Faculty Mentor, CFA Global Research Challenge, 2010 - 2011
- Faculty Mentor, ACG Competition, 2010
- Committee Chair, Faculty Senate Finance Committee, 2010 - Present
- Faculty Mentor, CFA Global Research Challenge, 2009 - 2010
- Committee Chair, Curriculum Committee, 2009
- Committee Chair, PT MBA Curriculum Redesign Committee, 2009
- Committee Chair, UT Austin Case Competition, 2009
- Committee Member, Curriculum Committee, 2008 - 2013
- Committee Member, Council, 2008 - 2011
- Program Director, MS Finance Program, 2008 - 2010
- Committee Member, Entrepreneurship Education Consortium, 2008 - 2009
- Board Member, MOCA Cleveland, 2008 - 2012
- Committee Member, Cleveland Foundation Promoting Philanthropy Committee, 2008 - 2009
- Board Member, Hospice of the Western Reserve, 2008 - 2009
- Weatherhead Teaching Excellence Award, (2010).
- Carl F. Wittke Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence (Nominee), (2010).
- Weatherhead Teaching Excellence Award Nominee, Weatherhead School of Management. (2009).
- J. Bruce Jackson, M.D., Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Mentoring, Case Western Reserve University. (2009).
- Weatherhead Teaching Excellence Award Nominee, Weatherhead School of Management. (2008).
- Carl F. Wittke Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence (Nominee), (2008).