Leon Blazey, CPA and professor of accountancy, began teaching at Case Western Reserve University in 1999. Since then he has taught numerous classes on topics ranging from taxation and accounting to the critical business soft skills required for success while also researching macro economic effects of tax policy. Professionally, Blazey remains active in the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants (OSCPA). He has also served as faculty mentor in the OSCPA Ambassador Program and for the Deloitte Tax Challenge. In 2010, Blazey was honored with a nomination for the Carl F. Wittke Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching. As a 1963 graduate from Western Reserve University, Blazey has served as treasurer of the Case Western Reserve Alumni Association from 2009 to 2012. He has also served as co-chairperson of The Braden Fund and senator to the Faculty Senate. Currently, he is committee chair of the Lee and Mary Blazey Endowed Chair.
Blazey is an active citizen in the Village of Bratenahl, Ohio, having served on the village’s audit committee for several years. He currently is clerk for the Village of Bratenahl.
Western Reserve University, 1963
Interests and Courses
Macro economic effects of tax policy
Taxation; Accounting; Critical business soft skills required for success
Recent Courses and SyllabiCourse evaluation ratings (login required)
Academic and Professional Activities
- American Institute of CPA's-Technical Sections . 1998 - Present
- American Institute of CPA's . 1970 - Present
- Chair of several local committees, Ohio Society of CPA's . 1970 - Present
- Committee Chair, L. & M. Blazey endowed chair fund , 2013 - Present
- Village Clerk, Village of Bratenahl , Bratenahl, Ohio, 2011 - 2013
- Senator, Faculty Senate , 2010 - 2013
- Co-chairperson, The Braden Fund , 2010 - 2012
- Officer, Treasurer, Case Allumni Association , CWRU, Cleveland, OH, 2009 - 2012
- Committee Member, Bratenahl Village Audit Committee , Bratenahl, OH, 2008 - 2011
- Faculty Advisor, Wolstein Society , 2004 - 2013
- Committee Member, AICPA/NASBA UAA Committee , NY, NY, 2002 - 2007
- Faculty Mentor, Ohio Society of CPA's Ambassador Program , 2001 - Present
- Faculty Mentor, Deloitte Tax Challenge , 2000 - 2011
- Carl Wittke Award-nominated, CWRU. (2010).
- Accounting Allumnus of the Year, CWRU-Beta Alpha Psi. (1999).
- Accountant of the Year, Kent State University. (1982).