The research of Justin Gallagher, PhD, assistant professor of economics, focuses on environmental economics and applied microeconomics, investigating how individuals evaluate and respond to environmental risks. Recently, Gallagher and his co-author studied the local welfare impact of the cleanup of large hazardous waste land sites in the U.S., using the housing market in neighboring communities to measure housing price changes before and after Superfund-sponsored cleanups. The study looks at waste sites of comparable severity, some of which have been slated for cleanup as part of the Environmental Protection Agency’s Superfund program, and some of which have not.
In his current research, Gallagher examines the learning process that individuals use to update their expectation of an uncertain and infrequently observed event, specifically, in this case, flooding. He has presented on these topics at several universities and also at the American Economic Association. Gallagher’s research has been published in the QUARTERLY JOURNAL OF ECONOMICS and AMERICAN ECONOMIC JOURNAL: APPLIED ECONOMICS.
Since joining the Weatherhead School of Management faculty, he has taught Advanced Econometrics, Econometrics, and Environmental Economics. Gallagher received his bachelor’s degree from Middlebury College, his master’s degree in public policy from the Harris School at the University of Chicago, and his PhD in economics from the University of California-Berkeley.Personal Website
PhD, University of California, Berkeley, 2011
MA, University of Chicago, 2003
BA, Middlebury College, 1999
Interests and Courses
Recent Courses and SyllabiCourse evaluation ratings (login required)
- Gallagher, J. Univ. Washington, "Underwater? Household Finance and Migration Decisions after a Flood: The Case of Hurricane Katrina", Economics Department, Univ. Washington, Seattle, WA. (2014).
- Gallagher, J. Economics LESS Talk, "Underwater? Household Finance and Migration Decisions after a Flood: The Case of Hurricane Katrina", Economics Department, CWRU. (2014).
- Gallagher, J. American Economic Association Annual Meetings, "Invited Discussant: How Do Housing Prices Adjust After an Environmental Shock?; Invited Discussant: Redistribution, Delegation, and Regulators' Incentives Evidence from teh Clean Air Act ", American Economic Association, Philadelphia, PA. (2014).
Academic and Professional Activities
- Committee Member, Faculty Recruiting, 2014
- Committee Chair, Seminar Series Co-Organizer, 2013 - Present