Joon Bae, PhD, CFA, focuses his research on the study of international financial markets. His current research examines various aspects of economic interconnectedness across firms and countries, and studies its implications for asset pricing and portfolio management in a global context. His research work has been published in prestigious finance journals such as the Journal of Finance and Management Science.Personal Website
He has presented at many conferences including the American Finance Association (AFA), China International Conference in Finance (CICF), the Eastern Finance Association (EFA), the Financial Management Association (FMA), and the Northern Finance Association (NFA).
Prior to his doctoral studies, Bae worked in the pension industry at University of Toronto Asset Management Corporation (UTAM). His working experience as a part of investment risk and research team have inspired and encouraged him to pursue his interest in international finance.
Bae earned his PhD and Master of Financial Economics (MFE) from the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto.
PhD, University of Toronto, 2017
Initially Appointed: 2017
Recent Courses and SyllabiCourse evaluation ratings (login required)
- Bae, J., Elkamhi, R.
Global Equity Correlation in International Markets
- Bae, J., Simutin, M., Elkamhi, R.
The best of both worlds: Accessing emerging economies via developed markets
Journal of Finance.
- Bae, J., Belo, F., Li, J., Lin, X., Zhao, X.
The Opposing Effects of Complexity and Information Content on Uncertainty Dynamics: Evidence from 10-K filings
- Bae, J., Da, Z., Zurita, V.
Digesting FOREXS: Information Transmission across Asset Classes and Return Predictability
- Graduate Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, Weatherhead School of Management. (2022).
- Intramural Grant Funding, Weatherhead School of Management. (2018).
- Canadian Securities Institute Research Foundation PhD Scholarship, Canadian Securities Institute. (2016).
- Doctoral Completion Award, Rotman School of Management. (2016).
- The Harvey Rorke Financial Foundation PhD Fellowship, The Financial Research Foundation of Canada. (2015).
- The Harvey Rorke Financial Foundation PhD Fellowship, The Financial Research Foundation of Canada. (2014).
- Capital Market Institute Graduate Fellowship, Rotman School of Management. (2013).
- Capital Market Institute Graduate Fellowship, Rotman School of Management. (2012).
- Master of Financial Economics Bursary, University of Toronto. (2009).
- Director’s Award in Academic Excellence Top 1%, Rotman School of Management. (2009).
- The Regents In-Course Scholarship, University of Toronto. (2008).
- The Martin R. Lindsay Memorial Scholarship, University of Toronto. (2008).
- The E.W. Bickle Scholarship, University of Toronto. (2007).