Harlow Cohen, PhD, professor of organizational behavior, is the faculty director for the Weatherhead School of Management Master of Science Program in Positive Organization Development & Change (MPOD). Cohen’s doctoral degree in organizational behavior and his master’s in organization development and analysis are both from Case Western Reserve University.
Prior to returning to his alma mater as a professor, he was president of Integrated Profit Solutions, a change management consulting firm; a senior consultant and project manager for Robert H. Schaffer and Associates; vice president of organization planning and development for Ameritrust Company, N.A.; senior vice president of operations and administration for Boykin Management Company; and director of human resources for Cole National Corporation and Cole Consumer Products. In addition to his executive background, Cohen’s consulting assignments have spanned a broad range of industries, serving clients like Panther Expedited Services, Abarta, Laketran, Manufacturers Alliance for Performance & Innovation,
The Society of the Plastics Industry, TRW, Allied Signal, Ford, Schuller/Manville, Navistar, Mohawk Industries, Sherwin-Williams, Utilimaster, Dekko International, ASC Incorporated, Ricer ca Inc., and National City Corporation.
Cohen has written articles for the ACADEMY OF MANAGEMENT EXECUTIVE; ADVANCED MANAGEMENT JOURNAL; HUMAN RESOURCE PROFESSIONAL; CASES IN ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT; and CORNELL QUARTERLY on topics that range from tapping into an organization’s hidden potential and generating bottom line results to identifying and developing managerial high performers, maximizing the contributions of human resource professionals, and enhancing team effectiveness. He has also published a book entitled, THE DINOSAUR IN THE LIVING ROOM: ACHIEVING POSITIVE CHANGE BY TACKLING THE OBVIOUS (2005). More recently Cohen designed and copyrighted three different strategic decision making simulations on disruptive innovation, performance, and industry leadership.
Since joining the Case Western Reserve faculty in 2005, Cohen has taught courses in Strategic Thinking, Organization Design, Effective Consulting & Implementation Methods, and Individual Field Projects, which is the capstone course in MPOD. In addition, he has been a faculty coach for the MBA Action Learning Program, and is a certified coach in Developing Leadership through Emotional Intelligence. Cohen was nominated for the 2016 John S. Diekhoff Award for Distinguished Graduate Student Mentoring, Weatherhead School of Management. He has also been nominated multiple times for the Weatherhead Teaching Excellence Award.Curriculum Vita
PhD, Case Western Reserve University, 1986
Initially Appointed: 2005
MS, Case Western Reserve University, 1979
Strategic decision making
An Integrated Theory of Implementation
Converting inert knowledge into positive outcomes
Theory of Effective implementation
Recent Courses and SyllabiCourse evaluation ratings (login required)
- Cohen, H. B.
In Allen Frasier, PhD Editor-in-Chief (Ed.),
The Change Management Fallacies
(vol. 84, issue 1, pp. 4-15).
Society for Advanced Management Journal.
- Cohen, H. B.
An Inconvenient Truth About Leadership Development
- Cohen, H. (Presenter Only)
Northern Ohio Human Resource Professional Society,
"Fast, Flat and Flexible: Designing Winning Organizations",
- Cohen, H. (Presenter & Author)
Heights Hillcrest Chamber of Commerce - Breakfast Series,
"Achieving Positive Change by Tackling the Obvious",
Heights Hillcrest Chamber of Commerce ,
- Organization Development Network. 2015 - 2016
- Organization Development Network. 2012 - Present
- Marshall in graduation ceremony, Commencement Ceremony, 2019 - 2011
- Committee Member, Weatherhead Faculty Council, 2016 - Present
- Marshall, Commencement Ceremony, 2012 - Present
- Workshop Organizer, ITS Leadership Retreat, 2012
- Faculty Advisor, MPOD, 2011 - 2012
- Faculty Mentor, Junior Jumpstart, 2010
- Faculty Advisor, MPOD, 2009 - 2012
- Committee Member, Accreditation Committee, 2009 - 2010
- Faculty Advisor, Visiting Committee, 2009 - 2010
- Guest Speaker, Heights Hillcrest Chamber of Commerce, Cleveland, Ohio, 2009
- Committee Member, PhD admissions committee, 2008
- Faculty Advisor, MPOD, 2007 - 2009
- 2016 John S. Diekhoff Award for Distinguished Graduate Student Mentoring, CWRU, Weatherhead School of Management. (2016).