Chris Laszlo, PhD, received his doctorate with distinction in economics and management science from the University of Paris. He holds a MPhil in economics and a master’s degree in international affairs from Columbia University, as well as a bachelor’s degree with honors from Swarthmore College. His research and teaching focus on business strategy, sustainability, and organizational change.
As one of the originators of the concept of sustainable value, Dr. Laszlo reframes sustainability as a business opportunity, turning environmental and social risks into drivers of innovation, greater employee engagement, and a new, inimitable source of competitive advantage.
As a co-founder and managing partner of Sustainable Value Partners LLC, he provides advisory services to senior leaders in some of the world’s largest companies. Laszlo has led hundreds of seminars and spoken widely on sustainability for strategic advantage both at companies and at leading business schools such as INSEAD, Darden School of Business, Cornell University, and Kenan-Flagler Business School.
In addition to his academic experience and consulting work, Laszlo spent nearly 10 years as an executive at Lafarge, a world leader in building materials; he held positions as head of strategy, general manager of a manufacturing subsidiary, and vice president of business development. Prior to that, he spent five years with Deloitte Touche, where he consulted on strategy to global industry leaders. Laszlo is the author of five books, including Flourishing Enterprise: The New Spirit of Business (2014), Embedded Sustainability: the Next Big Competitive Advantage (2011), Sustainable Value: How the World’s Leading Companies Are Doing Well by Doing Good (2008), and of numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals. He is the general editor of The Business of Sustainability, the second volume of the Encyclopedia of Sustainability (2010).Personal Website
PhD, University of Paris, 1995
Interests and Courses
Recent Courses and Syllabi
- Flourishing Enterprise: Creating Sustainable Value for Business and World Benefit
- MBA Practicum in Sustainable Value and Social Entrepreneurship II
- Design and Sustainability
- MBA Institute In Sustainable Value and Social Entrepreneurship I
- Laszlo, C.
Sustainability for Strategic Advantage: The Shift to Flourishing Stanford University Press and Greenleaf Publishing.
- Laszlo, C., Saillant, R., Cooperrider, D. L., Brown, J. S.
Flourishing Enterprise: The New Spirit of Business Stanford University Press.
- Laszlo, C.
Embedding sustainability in Latin American companies: the no trade-off model
- Ludema, J., Laszlo, C., Lynch, K.
Embedding Sustainability: How the Field of Organization Development and Change Can Help Companies Harness the Next Big Competitive Advantage Emerald Books.
- Cooperrider, D. L., Laszlo, C.
Innovation's New Frontier Leadership Excellence Magazine.
- Laszlo, C., Zhexebayeva, N.
Embedded Sustainability: the Next Big Competitive Advantage Stanford University Press.
- Laszlo, C., Zhexembayeva, N.
Embedded Sustainability: A Strategy for Market Leaders The European Financial Review.
- Laszlo, C., Pose, I. B.
Appreciative Inquiry and Sustainable Value Creation SAGE.
- Laszlo, C. The Future of the Corporation, "Flourishing Enterprise", The International Academy of Management, Santiago, Chile. (2016).
- Laszlo, C. Global Oneness Day, "Quantum Leadership", Humanity's Team, (2015).
- Laszlo, C. Milan World EXPO, "Sustainable Value: Is Integration the Trick?", EY Consulting, Milan, Italy. (2015).
- Laszlo, C. InnoQuest 2015, "Flourishing Enterprise", The Entrepreneurs EDGE, (2015).
- Laszlo, C. The Base of the Pyramid Global Summit, "Flourishing Enterprise in the BoP", BoP Network/ University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. (2015).
- Laszlo, C. The Next Frontier in CSR and Sustainability, "Flourishing Enterprise", FISB Annual Conference, Helsinki, Finland. (2014).
- Laszlo, C. Sustainability Circle, "Sustainability for Business Advantage", True Market Solutions, (2014).
Academic and Professional Activities
- Committee Member, Ignacio Pavez doctoral committee, 2013 - Present
- Faculty Advisor, Fowler Center for Sustainable Value, 2012 - Present
- Faculty Advisor, Fowler Center, 2010 - Present
- Elected Fellow, International Academy of Management. (2015).
- Flourishing Enterprise chosen one of Top Sustainability Books by Sustainable Brands , (2015).
- Top 100 Thought Leader in Trustworthy Business Behavior for 2012, Trust Across America. (2012).
- Invited Commencement Speaker, Duquesne University. (2011).