As one of the originators of the concept of sustainable value, Chris Laszlo, PhD, reframes sustainability as a business opportunity, turning environmental and social risks into drivers of innovation, greater employee engagement, and a new, inimitable source of competitive advantage.
Laszlo is the author of five books, including Flourishing Enterprise: The New Spirit of Business (2014), Embedded Sustainability: The Next Big Competitive Advantage (2011), and Sustainable Value: How the World's Leading Companies are Doing Well by Doing Good (2008), all from Stanford University Press. An earlier book, The Sustainable Company (2003, paperback 2005), was published by Island Press. He has numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals and is the general editor of The Business of Sustainability, the second volume of the Encyclopedia of Sustainability (2010). Professionally, Laszlo was elected a Fellow of the International Academy of Management. His book Flourishing Enterprise was chosen as one of the top sustainability books by Sustainable Brands. In 2012 he was selected by his peers to be a “Top 100 Thought Leaders in Trustworthy Business Behavior” by Trust Across America™.
As a co-founder and managing partner of Sustainable Value Partners LLC, he provides advisory services to senior leaders in some of the world’s largest companies. Laszlo has led hundreds of seminars and spoken widely on sustainability for strategic advantage both at companies and at leading business schools such as INSEAD, Darden School of Business, Cornell University, and Kenan-Flagler Business School.
In addition to his academic experience and consulting work, Laszlo spent nearly 10 years as an executive at Lafarge, a world leader in building materials; he held positions as head of strategy, general manager of a manufacturing subsidiary, and vice president of business development. Prior to that, he spent five years with Deloitte Touche, where he consulted on strategy to global industry leaders.
Laszlo received his doctorate with distinction in economics and management science from the University of Paris. He holds a MPhil in economics and a master’s degree in international affairs from Columbia University, and a BA with honors from Swarthmore College.Personal Website
PhD, University of Paris, 1995
Interests and Courses
Recent Courses and Syllabi
- Design and Sustainability
- Sustainability and Social Entrepreneurship
- Flourishing Enterprise: Creating Sustainable Value for Business and World Benefit
- MBA Practicum in Sustainable Value and Social Entrepreneurship II
- Sustainability for Strategic Advantage
- MBA Institute In Sustainable Value and Social Entrepreneurship I
- Pavez, I., Bello, M., Laszlo, C., Gullett, K.
TriCiclos: The challenging of scaling recycling in Latn America (pp. 13). Western Ontario: Richard Ivey School of Business.
- Laszlo, C.
Sustainability for Strategic Advantage: The Shift to Flourishing Stanford University Press and Greenleaf Publishing.
- Laszlo, C., Pose, I. B.
Appreciative Inquiry and Sustainable Value Creation SAGE.
- Laszlo, C., Saillant, R., Cooperrider, D. L., Brown, J. S.
Flourishing Enterprise: The New Spirit of Business Stanford University Press.
- Laszlo, C.
Embedding sustainability in Latin American companies: the no trade-off model
- Ludema, J., Laszlo, C., Lynch, K.
Embedding Sustainability: How the Field of Organization Development and Change Can Help Companies Harness the Next Big Competitive Advantage Emerald Books.
- Cooperrider, D. L., Laszlo, C.
Innovation's New Frontier Leadership Excellence Magazine.
- Laszlo, C., Zhexebayeva, N.
Embedded Sustainability: the Next Big Competitive Advantage Stanford University Press.
- Laszlo, C., Zhexembayeva, N.
Embedded Sustainability: A Strategy for Market Leaders The European Financial Review.
- Laszlo, C., Tsao, F. C.
Quantum Leadership: New Consciousness in Business Stanford University Press.
- Laszlo, C. The Future of the Corporation, "Flourishing Enterprise", The International Academy of Management, Santiago, Chile. (2016).
- Laszlo, C. Global Oneness Day, "Quantum Leadership", Humanity's Team, (2015).
- Laszlo, C. Milan World EXPO, "Sustainable Value: Is Integration the Trick?", EY Consulting, Milan, Italy. (2015).
- Laszlo, C. InnoQuest 2015, "Flourishing Enterprise", The Entrepreneurs EDGE, (2015).
- Laszlo, C. The Base of the Pyramid Global Summit, "Flourishing Enterprise in the BoP", BoP Network/ University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. (2015).
- Laszlo, C. The Next Frontier in CSR and Sustainability, "Flourishing Enterprise", FISB Annual Conference, Helsinki, Finland. (2014).
- Laszlo, C. Sustainability Circle, "Sustainability for Business Advantage", True Market Solutions, (2014).
Academic and Professional Activities
- Committee Member, Member of seven PhD or DM Committees, 2015 - Present
- Committee Member, Ignacio Pavez doctoral committee, 2013 - Present
- Faculty Advisor, Fowler Center for Sustainable Value, 2012 - Present
- Faculty Advisor, Fowler Center, 2010 - Present
- Recipient of the Doctoral Teaching & Mentoring Award, (2016).
- Elected Fellow, International Academy of Management. (2015).
- Flourishing Enterprise chosen one of Top Sustainability Books by Sustainable Brands , (2015).
- Top 100 Thought Leader in Trustworthy Business Behavior for 2012, Trust Across America. (2012).
- Invited Commencement Speaker, Duquesne University. (2011).