Tony Bucaro, CPA, PhD, joined the Weatherhead faculty in the fall of 2015, after receiving his PhD in Accountancy from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Prior to joining the academic community, Bucaro worked for 15 years in public accounting. He joined the international audit and accounting firm, Deloitte & Touche, in 1995, where his professional focus was financial statements and processes of large public and private companies. More specifically, he focused on the audit of business processes, risks and internal controls over financial reporting, and consulted with clients to improve their risk-related processes. Deloitte & Touche made Bucaro a Partner in 2007. He left public practice in 2010 to pursue his PhD in Accountancy and now uses his professional experience to guide practical, academic research related to effective audit processes, audit regulation, and other accounting topics, and to teach financial accounting, audit, and accounting information systems.
PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2015
Initially Appointed: 2015
MAcc, The University of Florida, 1995
Recent Courses and SyllabiCourse evaluation ratings (login required)
- Bucaro, A., Brewster, B.
Practitioner Summary – Systems Thinking in Complex Audit Situations
(vol. 14, issue 2, pp. 40-46).
Current Issues in Auditing.
- Bucaro, A., Bauer, T., Estep, C.
The Unintended Consequences of Material Weakness Reporting on Auditors’ Acceptance of Aggressive Client Reporting
(vol. 95, issue 4, pp. 51-72).
The Accounting Review.
- Bucaro, A., Jackson, K., Lill, J.
The Influence of CSR Measures on Investors’ Judgments when Integrated in a Financial Report versus Presented in a Separate Report
(vol. 37, issue 2, pp. 665-695).
Contemporary Accounting Research.
- Bucaro, A.
Enhancing auditors' critical thinking in audits of complex estimates
(vol. 73, pp. 35-49).
Accounting, Organizations and Society.
- Bucaro, A. (Discussant)
AAA Audit Midyear Meeting 2020,
"Discussion of The Impact of Thinking Approach on Offshore Auditors’ Judgment Quality in Performing Analytical Procedures",
American Accounting Association,
- Bucaro, A. (Discussant)
Ohio Regional Meeting,
"Discussion of: Auditor Independence and Restatement Magnitude, by Jadallah Azmi Jadallah",
- Bucaro, A. (Presenter & Author), Bauer, T. (Author Only), Estep, C. (Author Only)
Accounting, Behavior and Organization Section, Research Conference,
"Encouraging Material Weakness Reporting: Unintended Consequences and a Potential Solution for Auditors’ Willingness to Accept Aggressive Financial Reporting",
- Bucaro, A. (Panelist/Discussant)
"When Accounting Professionals Become Accounting Educators: Challenges and Opportunities",
New York, NY.
- Academic Advocate, ISACA. 2016 - Present
- American Accounting Association. 2010 - Present
- American institute of Certified Public Accountants. 2007 - Present
- Interaction with Industry, Deloitte "Center for Controllership™", 2019
- Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 2018 - 2023
- Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 2018 - 2020
- Reviewer, Ad Hoc Reviewer, Behavioral Research in Accounting, 2018 - 2019
- Invited Speaker on Podcast "Practitioner to Academia", AICPA, 2016 - 2017