Peter Drucker, the legendary management thinker and author of business classics such as The Effective Executive, once said, “Every single social and global issue of our day is a business opportunity in disguise.” It’s a powerful idea at the core of this program, along with the notion that we need to better care for our inner lives to be more effective in the outer world. Before managers can manage anything else, they must first manage themselves.
Today’s global issues such as rising and volatile commodity prices, energy security, water scarcity and social justice are increasing complexity for every kind of enterprise, with far-reaching implications for satisfying customers and engaging employees. Effective handling of these issues can generate new revenues and cost efficiency, drive innovation as well as reputational value, while failure to do so can heighten financial and competitive risk.
In this program, you will learn how any organization can turn such increased complexity into a future where business can excel and people can thrive. The one-day course is divided into two parts:
- Strategic and organizational challenges to create value and profit
- Individual practices to foster wellbeing and effectively adapt to change
Learning will be interactive and focused on real-time business issues. Topics dealing with individual challenges include a range of experiential practices. You will learn the business case for embedding environmental, health and social issues into core business activities to be more successful rather than only as a way to be ‘green’ or socially responsible. You will also go beyond the business case for sustainability, by learning practices to cultivate personal sustainability and effectiveness. Based on the pioneering work of Professor Hunter, recently described in the Wall Street Journal as “managing your insides so you can deal with your outsides better,” you will cover topics such as handling of emotional reactions and dealing with change—topics that are key to enhanced productivity and sustained performance in complex environments.
As a result of attending this programs, participants will:
- Understand what declining natural resources, radical transparency, and rising expectations mean for you and your organization
- Manage supply chains, product designs, and business models to meet changing market expectations
- Apply new tools and metrics to manage complex business environments.
- Ask the fundamental “disruptive” questions that are often avoided but risk becoming big game changers in the years ahead
- Understand how your nervous system undermines effective action in situations of high challenge and chronic stress. Practice methods to manage this natural reaction, fostering greater calm and deliberateness
- Be able to engage others in the workplace in ways that allow them to create more choices and innovate solutions to seemingly impossible problems.
Who Should Attend
The Case Weatherhead School of Management strongly believes that sustainability requires a central place on the executive agenda. As a result, this program is designed for leaders focused on strategic initiatives including:
- CEOs, CFOs and other senior managers
- Line managers with profit & loss responsibility
- Marketing, sales and brand managers
- Leaders of Lean and operations improvement
- Policy, NGO, non-profit and other public sector leaders
Individual Participants: $645
Package Pricing: 1 class day per participant