Designing and delivering unique and powerful experience is a next-frontier growth strategy, replacing mere product selling. Apple and Kodak transformed hardware products to experiences that meet the needs (often unarticulated) of consumers. Even companies like IBM and UPS have transformed their organizations to provide end-to-end industrial solutions, focusing on customer experiences rather than products. Companies that pursue an experience-oriented strategy deepen relationships with customers, expand control over the value chain and change the value proposition of their products and services.
Implementing such a strategy is a daunting challenge because of the dramatic shift required in managerial, technical and organizational thinking. Perpetual innovation requires new organizational forms that are based on different organizing logic with supporting collaborative infrastructure. It also requires changes in culture and attitudes.
In this two-day seminar, design method and design attitude will be introduced as a lens to address these challenges. Through case studies, hands-on exercises and interactive discussion, participants will learn key differences between product-oriented logic and experience-oriented logic and how to mobilize internal resources for the shift. They will learn key organizing principles, technological infrastructure and organizational change strategy for success.
- Changing economic environments
- From products to experiences
- For consumer products
- For industrial products
- Finding opportunities for experience-based products
- Re-think users
- Re-think products
- Customer journey map to discover innovation space and opportunities
- Tool kits for innovation for experience-based strategies
- Designing the organization structure
- Structural challenges of designing an innovating organization
- Design choices for innovation organizations
- Designing collaborative infrastructure for continuing innovations
- Cultivating innovating cultures in organizations
- Different faces of innovation
- Innovation and organization identity
- Design approach to change organizations
As a result of attending this program, participants will:
- Develop a powerful new strategy that integrates resources across the firm to create customer solutions, including strategy, structure, technology and culture
- Walk away with two sets of innovation tool kits, one for solution and another for experience-based strategy
- Define innovation space and identify new opportunities using a customer journey map
- Acquire design tools for organization change
Who Should Attend
Managers in the areas of marketing and strategy innovation, IT and organization change. Especially valuable to those working or consulting for manufacturing companies. Pairs or groups of managers from the same company should attend together for maximum benefit.
Individual Participants: $1,290
Package Pricing: 2 class day per participant