This one-day workshop is based on the Youth Program Quality Intervention—a comprehensive system for improving program quality. The workshop is designed to provide a framework for youth work based on research and best/promising practices of high-quality programming. The workshop emphasizes use of effective strategies to empower staff and participants to create an environment that builds upon best practices in structuring safe and supportive environments and supporting positive peer and adult interactions and youth engagement.
Using the YPQI as a framework, participants will:
- Explore active participatory approach as it relates to program quality
- Discuss and reflect upon current programming using program observation data, anecdotal feedback, survey results, etc.
- Develop strategies to enhance program quality
- Create community of practice regarding quality strategies
This workshop aligns with core knowledge and competencies for youth work professionals that have been developed by the National Afterschool Association (NAA) and the Ohio Afterschool Network (OAN).
The NAA core knowledge content areas addressed:
- Learning Environments and Curriculum: Create a high-quality learning environment and implements age appropriate curricula and program activities
- Program Planning and Development: Supports staff and serves as a role model around professional development plans by building healthy relationships with colleagues and families, providing developmentally appropriate practices, and connecting with and utilizing resources.
Intended Audience: youth serving professionals, particularly those who work directly with youth
Registration is full.