The healthcare management industry is growing and as a result, so is the demand for professionals in this field. Students interested in learning about what companies utilize to meet the demands of their customers can pursue this passion at Weatherhead.
Students interested in Weatherhead’s healthcare management academic program interact on a personal level with some of the leading experts in their fields, including:
- Thomas King, recipient of the 2017 Weatherhead Graduate Teaching award and Scholar-Practitioner Award for his Doctor of Management cohort
- J. B. Silvers, board member and treasurer for the Joint Commission-Center for Transforming Healthcare, Joint Commission Resources/Joint Commission International, and The Joint Commission with research interests in financial management and health services
- Casey Newmeyer, who has worked in marketing roles for companies such as FedEx, XM Satellite Radio and Northrop Grumman and specializes in brand partnerships and alliances such as co-brands and brand acquisitions
- George Vairaktarakis studies the behavior of manufacturers and how an environment of competition or cooperation affects results
- Mark Votruba is the recipient of the 20th Annual Arrow Award from the International Health Economics Association in 2013
Students can gain the fundamental knowledge of healthcare management through our business management major.
Business Management Major with Healthcare Management Concentration
The Weatherhead undergraduate business management major grounds students in the functional areas of business for career preparation across a broad spectrum of industries. All students build a strong foundation in business management by taking required courses in economics, accounting, statistics, communication, leadership, marketing, and operations research and supply chain management.
As a business management major, you will build upon this foundation by selecting an area of concentration. By pursing a Healthcare Management concentration, you will select courses that will strengthen your understanding of healthcare economics, public and/or health finance, and lean service operations. The flexibility of this major allows students to pursue a second concentration or add additional courses to support their career interests.
See comprehensive information about Weatherhead's BS in Management in the General Bulletin.
For more information about our academic programs, contact Jim Hurley, Assistant Dean of Undergraduate and Integrated Study Programs, at 216.368.3856.
Ready to apply? Learn about our admission requirements.
Earn a BA or BS degree and a MSM-Healthcare in as little as five years
Couple the quantitative and analytical skills of your undergraduate studies with the specialized skills obtained from a master’s in healthcare management. Adding the MSM-Healthcare degree to your undergraduate program will empower students to seek ground-breaking solutions to issues in today’s healthcare management, employ design thinking to innovate positive change, explore a wide range of healthcare settings, and more.
For more information, see the BA/BS and MSM-Healthcare Integrated program page, or contact Jim Hurley, Assistant Dean of Undergraduate and Integrated Study Programs at 216.368.3856 or Karla Schiebel, Director of Admissions, International & Emerging Markets at 216.368.3914
Learn more about healthcare management and further educational opportunities.