Weatherhead’s accounting program is among the finest in the country. Accounting majors enjoy close contact with our outstanding faculty. They are recruited heavily by Big Four accounting firms, local and regional firms, financial institutions, consulting firms, and various Fortune 500 companies.
World-Renowned Faculty in Accounting
Students in the undergraduate accounting program work with faculty members recognized all around the globe for their contributions to the field, including:
- Karen Braun, the lead author of a managerial accounting textbook used at over 200 colleges and universities in the United States and Canada
- Dennis Conrad, who holds several patents related to the configuration of packaged information systems and whose 30+ year career prior to teaching at Weatherhead was spent helping clients make the most of their investments in Accounting Information Systems at IBM/PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Gregory Jonas, who has over twenty years of industry experience in roles ranging from cost accountant to CEO
- Mark Taylor, recipient of the 2015 Business Information Professional of the Year Award
- Gary Previts, who was recently recognized by the American Institute of CPAs as one of 125 People of Impact in Accounting and is a member of the Accounting Hall of Fame
Our faculty are known for and recognized as excellent instructors at Weatherhead and CWRU. Awards received by the faculty in the department include:
- Distinguished University Professor
- Outstanding Educator Award
- Research Recognition Award
- Joseph A. Silvoso Faculty Award of Merit
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Weatherhead School of Management
- Weatherhead Undergraduate Teaching Award
- Weatherhead Graduate Teaching Excellence Award
- Wittke Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Nominee, CWRU
…and others. Read more about the faculty in the accounting program.
Programs in Accounting
In addition to the BS in Accounting, Weatherhead offers two accelerated tracks known as our Integrated Study programs. These two programs are ideal for students planning to obtain professional certification such as the Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
BS in Accounting
122-credit-hour program is designed to enhance critical thinking, quantitative analysis, and decision making.
The curriculum prepares students for entrance into their careers while also providing a foundation for the examination to become a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or to achieve other professional certifications.
As part of the sequence of courses leading to the BS in Accounting, students take required and elective courses in related fields of banking and finance, economics, marketing, organizational behavior, information systems, management policy and operations.
Joint BS in Accounting/MAcc
The joint BS in Accounting/Master of Accountancy program permits students to work towards the completion of the Master of Accountancy during their undergraduate studies. By doing so, students are able to lessen the course load in their fifth year. After completing the senior year, students enroll as graduate students at Weatherhead to complete the master’s degree.
Accelerated BS in Accounting/MAcc
Highly qualified CWRU accountancy students may be interested in the accelerated BS in Accounting/MAcc program, which allows students to complete both degrees within eight academic semesters as an undergraduate student. In some cases, one additional semester of study is needed to complete both degrees, at which time the student would be considered a Weatherhead graduate student.
The accelerated program saves highly qualified students both time and money while equipping students with the skills and knowledge attractive to top accounting firms.
Whether your planned career path places you in a corporate, non-profit, or small business setting, a knowledge of accounting is extremely valuable in enhancing your personal skill set. At just 15 credit hours, you can easily add an accounting minor to your current undergraduate plan.
Introductory Accounting Courses
Two introductory accounting courses are available to help you satisfy degree requirements and explore the world of accounting.
See comprehensive information about Weatherhead’s BS in Accounting in the General Bulletin.
Beta Alpha Psi
Case Western Reserve is home to a chapter of Beta Alpha Psi, a national honor organization for accounting, finance and information systems students and professionals. This is an organization that helps students socialize, meet local employers who are looking for accounting graduates to hire, learn the latest trends in the accounting profession and develop lifelong friendships with fellow students and faculty. The accountancy department works closely with student leaders of the chapter to honor outstanding students in accountancy as well as an alumnus of the year at an annual banquet each spring.