Weatherhead Philosophy of Recruitment
The Weatherhead School of Management admissions team is committed to recruiting a community of students with diverse perspectives and a range of educational, professional and life experiences. These experiences, along with demonstrated student excellence, enrich the dialogue and teamwork in the classroom. We look for applicants who are interested and interesting.
Application Process Overview
- Create an application, or log in using your username and password to continue your application.
- Upload the required documents. Only unofficial documents are needed for the review process.
- When your application is finished, click “submit” to pay your non-refundable application fee
- After clicking “submit,” you will not be able to make any changes to your application form, resume or essays, but you will be able to log back in later to upload transcripts and test scores. All required documents must be submitted in order to be considered.
- Once your application is complete, you may receive an invitation to interview. Interviews are by invitation only.
- Any application that remains incomplete at the end of the admissions period will be denied.
When reviewing your profile for admission consideration, the Weatherhead admissions team requires the following (click each category for full details about the admission requirements):
Applicants are required to have taken two calculus courses at the college level and one course in linear algebra. A course in statistics is strongly preferred.
The online application captures general information including: personal information, contact information, demographic information, education, and employment history. Applicants also submit their application fee as part of the online admissions process. Additionally, applicants must upload a current resume, two essays, and the contact information for letters of recommendation (see instructions below under “Letters of Recommendation”). The online application can be completed in one sitting and additional supporting documents can be uploaded after clicking “Submit.” Please note: Information entered into the online form cannot be changed once the application has been submitted, but transcripts and test score reports may be added at a later date.
Two essays are required. Each essay must be double spaced and a maximum of 500 words in length.
Essay 1 (required response):
Describe your motivation and goals for pursuing a master’s degree in business analytics at Weatherhead. How have your academic, career, and life experiences prepared you for this program? What strengths will you bring to enhance your own educational experience, and those of your cohort at Weatherhead? You may also share any concerns about your application in this essay.
Essay 2 (choose from the following three topics and indicate in your response which topic you are addressing):
- Describe an experience where you were challenged to produce an outcome that you initially felt was beyond your capability and how you dealt with it. What did you do, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Students of analytics are said to be nerds who like numbers more than social interactions, prone to emphasize rigor over pragmatic relevance. Why do you want to study analytics? What kind of student do you aspire to be? What contribution do you want to make to advance the role of analytics in business decision making?
- Describe a time when you led a response to a crisis. What leadership skills did you display? What was the impact of your decisions? Whom did you lead, and what would they say about how you handled the situation? How would you rate your own performances?
A current resume is required. The resume should include all work experience, including part-time employment, internships, and co-op employment.
All applicants are required to submit unofficial transcripts from all post-secondary education (undergraduate or graduate schools) where you have earned a degree. Separate transcripts are also required if you received any transfer credit from another university. Please upload your transcripts in the “Transcripts” section of the online application. This can be done before or after clicking “Submit”).
Only unofficial transcripts are required for the completion and review of an application. Please do not send us your official documents during the application process. If you are admitted and you decide to enroll, we will require your official transcripts then. Please note: official transcripts must state the degree earned and the date the degree is conferred. If not, you must also provide an official degree certificate from your school stating the above information.
REQUIREMENT: CUMULATIVE GRADE POINT AVERAGE (GPA)
If you have earned a degree outside of the United States, Weatherhead School of Management requires that your transcripts state your cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) or total average score on any numeric scale. This must also include the grading scale used to calculate it.
If your transcripts do not state your cumulative GPA or total average score and your grading scale, you must also submit one of the following:
- An official GPA Certificate from your university stating your cumulative GPA or total average score on any numeric scale (examples: 88/100, 3.5/4.0, 3.8/5, 7/10)
- The grading scale used to calculate your GPA
- A course-by-course transcript evaluation from either the World Education Services OR Educational Credential Evaluators (see contact information below)
NOTE: Your application will remain incomplete until one of the above documents has been received.
Advantages of having a transcript evaluation:
- Evaluated GPA’s tend to be higher than those stated on many international transcripts.
- If you are an international student, it confirms that your degree is the equivalent of a four-year bachelor’s degree in the United States.
- You may also send electronic copies to more than one school.
When ordering your transcript evaluation, you do not have to pay to express mail the report to us. Simply request that a copy be sent electronically to the Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University by selecting our school in their drop down box. We will also accept unofficial or student copies that are uploaded to the application.
THREE YEAR BACHELOR’S DEGREES
If you have or will have earned a three-year bachelor degree, you may also be required to submit a transcript evaluation prepared by WES or ECE along with your transcripts. Weatherhead School of Management will recognize a three-year bachelor’s degree as long as the evaluation indicates that the degree is equivalent to a four-year bachelor’s degree in the United States.
Before you apply or begin an evaluation process, visit the World Education Services website and use their free “WES Degree Equivalency” tool to see if your degree granting institution is recognized as the equivalent of a four-year degree in the U.S. If your degree is not listed as such, you will need an evaluation from one of these agencies (no preference). If the tool says your degree is recognized as the equivalent of a four-year degree, please take a screen shot and upload this to your application in the Transcripts section.
Your application will remain incomplete until the WES or ECE evaluation has been received. Offers of admission will not be binding until we have verified your degree.
For more information, contact:
PO Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087 USA
The Weatherhead Admissions team reserves the right to require additional verification of transcripts, grading scales or official certificates that are uploaded to your application. If documents are not authentic or inaccurate, we will deny admission.
An unofficial GMAT (preferred) or GRE (accepted) score report is required for the application and review process. Applicants can upload these to the “Test Documentation” section of the online application before or after submitting their application. Offers of admission cannot be extended for incomplete applications. Official score reports are only required if an offer of admission is extended and the applicant enrolls as a student.
GMAT code: WTJ-F1-57
GRE code: 1105
Applicants whose native language is not English must submit an English language exam. We accept either TOEFL or IELTS. Applicants can upload their scores to the “Test Documentation” section of the online application before or after submitting their application.
An applicant who possesses one of the following qualifications can obtain a waiver:
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree with instruction exclusively in English. (Make sure your transcripts state that your education was in English.)
- Three years full-time work in a country where English is an official language.
If you qualify for a waiver of the English language exam, you must indicate this in the “Test Scores” section of the application. Waiver qualification will be verified.
TOEFL Code: 1105; Department Code: 02
Applicants must provide the name, relationship, and contact information of two individuals who will write a letter of recommendation on the applicant’s behalf. Recommenders will be notified electronically to upload their letters to the applicant’s online profile. To ensure timely receipt, we strongly suggest each applicant follow up with his or her recommenders to make sure that they have uploaded their letters of recommendation to the online application. An application is considered incomplete until all letters of recommendation are received. Offers of admission cannot be extended for incomplete applications.
Applicants are prompted to pay a non-refundable $100 fee when they submit their application. Credit card payments are preferred, but checks are accepted. If an applicant chooses to mail a check, he or she must mail payment to the address below:
Case Western Reserve University
Weatherhead School of Management
MSM-Business Analytics Admissions
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106-7235
Please note: Credit card payments are automatically added to an application. If an applicant chooses to pay by check, his or her application remains incomplete until the admissions office has received the check. Offers of admission cannot be extended for incomplete applications.
Each supporting document must be uploaded to your online application for admission consideration. Some applicants require time to take the GMAT or GRE. Considering this, our team may interview applicants who have not yet taken either test (or who plan to retake a test for a higher score) but whose undergraduate transcripts and work history demonstrate high performance. Please note: An offer for admission cannot be extended with an incomplete application package. Weatherhead does not offer conditional admission under any circumstances.
The MSM-Business Analytics program has three application rounds shown below and each application round has a deadline to submit and a deadline to complete (finalize) your application.
In order to receive a decision by any of the Notification Dates, applicants must meet both the Submit and Complete deadlines in a given application round. Applicants interested in scholarship consideration (merit based) are encouraged to apply early for optimal scholarship availability.
Program Start Dates
All students are required to attend an orientation Monday, July 3 prior to the start of the program. Classes begin Friday, July 7.