Master of Healthcare Management Application Requirements
* While the Master of Healthcare Management program does not require GMAT/GRE testing, we may request GMAT/GRE test score reports for candidates with limited work experience.
Get to know the admissions requirements and steps involved in applying for the healthcare management program.
The online application captures general information including: personal information, contact information, demographic information, education, and employment history. Applicants also submit their application fee as part of the online admissions process. Additionally, applicants must upload a current resume, two essays, and the contact information for letters of recommendation (see instructions below under “Letters of Recommendation”). The online application can be completed in one sitting and additional supporting documents can be uploaded after clicking “Submit.” Please note: Information entered into the online form cannot be changed once the application has been submitted, but transcripts and test score reports may be added at a later date.
Two essays are required. Each essay must be double-spaced and a maximum of 500 words in length.
Essay #1: Describe your motivation for pursuing a master’s degree.
- What have you done in your academic/professional/personal life that has prepared you for this degree?
- If your undergraduate major is different from the graduate degree you are seeking, please explain how you became interested in this field and why you would like to pursue it now in your educational career.
- How does this master’s degree fit in with your short and long term career goals?
- In what way will you contribute to the fabric of the Weatherhead culture?
- We use test scores, transcripts, recommendation letters and essays to understand who you are, but it may not tell us the whole story. Please explain or address any concerns that you have about your profile or candidacy that will help us determine your ability to meet the rigor of the program and achieve your intended goals.
Essay #2: Choose one question from the following four options; please indicate which topic you are addressing in your response.
- Discuss a major challenge or setback you’ve experienced in your life. Include a brief description of the situation and relevant context, your approach to managing the challenge, and what steps you took to move forward following the adversity. How have you grown or developed since this experience?
- Please select a current event which has captured your attention and requires a solution. What about this current event is captivating? As a business leader, who do you involve, how do you approach this and what do you hope to achieve when providing a solution. As a result of your efforts, what do you hope the impact is for industry and society?
- Criticism can be difficult, but is a necessary part of growth. What was the most difficult feedback you have received, and how did you address it?
- If you were able to invite two people to dinner (living or deceased), who would they be and why?
A current resume is required. The resume should include all work experience, including part-time employment,* internships,* and co-op employment.*
* For early-career applicants.
All applicants are required to submit unofficial transcripts of all post-secondary education for the application and review process. Please include your school’s grading scale. Separate transcripts are also required if you received any transfer credit from another university. You may upload these to the “Transcripts” section of the online application.
Weatherhead reserves the right to request further documentation for missing cumulative GPAs or those not on a 4.0 scale
Only unofficial transcripts are required to complete an application. Please do not send us your official transcripts yet.
If you are admitted and you decide to enroll, we will require your official transcripts then. Please note: they must state the degree earned and the date the degree is conferred. If not, you must also provide an official degree certificate from your school stating the above information.
If you have or will have earned a three-year bachelor’s degree, you may need a transcript evaluation prepared by World Education Services (WES) or Education Credential Evaluators (ECE). Weatherhead School of Management recognizes a three-year bachelor’s degree as long as the WES or ECE (contact details below) indicates that the degree is equivalent to a four-year bachelor’s degree in the United States.
Before you apply or begin an evaluation process, visit the World Education Services website and use their free “WES Degree Equivalency” tool to see if your degree granting institution is recognized as the equivalent of a four-year degree in the U.S. If your degree is not listed as such, you will need an evaluation from one of these agencies (no preference).
Your application will remain incomplete until the WES or ECE evaluation has been received. Offers of admission will not be binding until we have verified your degree.
Note: When ordering your transcript evaluation, you must request that a copy be sent electronically to the Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University by selecting our school in their dropdown box. We will also accept unofficial or student copies of the WES or ECE that are uploaded to the application.
For more information, you may contact:
While the Master of Healthcare Management program does not require GMAT/GRE testing, we may request GMAT/GRE test score reports for candidates with limited work experience. If you are instructed to submit one, you only need to upload your unofficial report during the admissions review process. If you are admitted and you decide to enroll, you will be required to submit official documents then. Further instructions will be sent by email.
Please do not upload your exam or enter your test results unless you are satisfied with your current scores since you will not be able to change this after you submit your application. If you plan to retake the test in hopes of improving your scores, please wait to upload your final exam.
GMAT Code: WTJ-F1-17
GRE Code: 1105
Applicants whose native language is not English must submit (upload) an unofficial English language exam in the Test Documentation section. We accept either TOEFL or IELTS (or see waiver conditions below). We do not have a minimum test score requirement but please visit the Class Profile page (link at left) to see the average test scores for the current class in this program.
We only accept unofficial exams during the admissions review process. If you are admitted and you decide to enroll, you will be required to submit your official documents then. Further instructions will be sent by email.
Do not upload a score report or enter your test results unless you are satisfied with your current score since you will not be able to change it after you submit your application. If you plan to retake the test in hopes of improving you scores, please wait to upload your final exam. If you do upload a TOEFL or IELTS and ask us to change it later, we will move your application to the next round.
WAIVERS can be obtained if you meet the following conditions
- Four years of undergraduate/graduate studies (combined) where English is the primary language of instruction. If your university is not located in an English speaking country, your transcripts must state that the language of instruction was in English.
If it has been more than a year since you were in an English speaking program or work environment, the admissions team reserves the right to require proof of English language proficiency.
- Three years full-time work in a country where English is an official language.
If you qualify for a waiver of the English language exam, you must indicate this in the "Test Scores" section of the application. Waiver qualification will be verified.
TOEFL Code: 1105; Department Code: 02
As part of submitting your application, we require two recommendations. You will need to enter the names, relationship and contact information of two recommenders. Your recommenders will then receive an email with a link to a questionnaire to fill in about you as a candidate for this program.
Applicants are prompted to pay a non-refundable $100 fee when they submit their application. Credit card payments are preferred, but checks are accepted. If an applicant chooses to mail a check, he or she must mail payment to the address below:
Case Western Reserve University
Weatherhead School of Management
Master of Healthcare Management Admissions
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106-7235
Please note: Credit card payments are automatically added to an application. If an applicant chooses to pay by check, his or her application remains incomplete until the admissions office has received the check. Offers of admission cannot be extended for incomplete applications.
You must upload each supporting document to your online application for admission consideration. Some applicants require time to take the GMAT or GRE. Considering this, our team may interview applicants who have not yet taken either test (or who plan to retake a test for a higher score) but whose undergraduate transcripts and work history demonstrate high performance. Please note: we cannot extend an offer for admission if you have an incomplete application package. Weatherhead does not offer conditional admission under any circumstances.
Weatherhead Philosophy of Recruitment
The Weatherhead School of Management Master of Healthcare Management admissions team is committed to recruiting a community of students with diverse perspectives and a range of robust educational, professional and life experiences. These experiences, along with demonstrated student excellence, enrich the dialogue and teamwork in the classroom.
How to Apply to the Master of Healthcare Management Program
- Create an application, or log in using your username and password to continue your application.
- Upload the required unofficial documents. If you are admitted and you matriculate, we will require your official documents then. Further instructions will be sent by email.
- When your application is finished, click “submit” to pay your non-refundable application fee
- After clicking “submit,” you will not be able to make any changes to your application form, resume or essays, but you will be able to log back in later to upload transcripts and test scores. All required documents must be submitted in order to be considered.
- Once your application is complete, you may receive an invitation to interview. Interviews are by invitation only.
- Any application that remains incomplete at the end of the admissions period will be denied.
Master of Healthcare Management Deadlines
Applications to the Master of Healthcare Management program must be submitted by the following deadlines to receive a decision by the corresponding notification date. An offer for admission cannot be issued if an application package remains incomplete.
An offer of admission cannot be issued if an application package remains incomplete. If an application remains incomplete by the final Round deadline, Weatherhead reserves the right to withdraw or deny the application.
Deadline: October 27, 2020
Notification Date: November 20, 2020
Deadline: December 15, 2020
Notification Date: January 15, 2021
Deadline: February 23, 2021
Notification Date: March 26, 2021
Deadline: April 27, 2021
Notification Date: May 21, 2021