International Students | Weatherhead School at Case Western Reserve University

International Students

Weatherhead students and alumni can access resources for international students on the Weatherhead intranet.

At Weatherhead, we take pride in our ability to attract a motivated set of professionals representing a wide array of countries, cultures, and ethnicities to our graduate degree programs. Over the past five years, our international students have come from over 25 countries, bringing with them an enriching variety of perspectives, experiences, and expectations reflecting the increasing interconnectedness of our world.

We also believe strongly in the value that an international educational experience has for our domestic students. Knowledge of a foreign language and comfort with cultural differences are two qualities that employers prize.

Careers for International Students

We work closely with International Student Services at Case Western Reserve University to proactively advise our international students on questions regarding immigration, work authorization, and employment. We take care of most authorization details so that students and employers benefit from a seamless process.

Opportunities While in School

Upon completing one academic year (i.e., two full semesters) at Weatherhead, international students on an F-1 visa are legally allowed to seek full- or part-time internship opportunities as part of their Curricular Practical Training (CPT). A prospective employer is only required to provide an offer letter to the student specifying the detailed terms of employment. It is the student’s responsibility to have the CPT authorized by the university, a process that typically takes two business days.

Opportunities After Graduation

Upon graduation, international students are legally permitted to pursue up to 12 months of full-time employment in their field of education as part of their Optional Practical Training (OPT). Students typically contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to apply for their Employment Authorization Document (EAD) during the semester before graduation or shortly thereafter.

Recent Employers of International Students

Weatherhead graduates have recently been hired by the following companies: