J.B. Silvers, Ph.D., is the John R. Mannix Medical Mutual of Ohio Professor of Health Care Finance and Professor of Banking and Finance at the Weatherhead School of Management with a joint appointment in the School of Medicine - all at Case Western Reserve University. Dr. Silvers' research in the areas of financial management and health services has published in the Journal of Finance, the Journal of the American Medical Association, Medical Care, Health Services Research and many others. From 1997 to 2000, while on leave, he served as President and Chief Executive Officer of QualChoice – a health plan and insurance company in Cleveland, Ohio. Professor Silvers currently serves on the board of Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (TJC) as Treasurer and for seven years he was a Commissioner on the Prospective Payment Assessment Commission advising Congress on Medicare payment. He currently sits on the boards of MetroHealth Medical Center (Vice Chair), SummaCare Insurance Co and the Board of Mathematical Sciences and their Applications at the National Academy of Sciences. He also was Interim Dean and Senior Associate Dean of the Weatherhead School of Management for several years. Silvers has contributed commentary to NPR’s Marketplace, the Nightly Business Report, The New York Times, Modern Healthcare, and the Christian Science Monitor and local print and broadcast media.
Ph.D., Stanford University, 1971
M.S., Purdue University, 1966
B.S., Purdue University, 1965
Interests and Courses
* Health Finance/insurance
* Public policy
* Health finance
* Strategic financial management and value creation
* Health policy and management decisions
Recent Courses and SyllabiCourse evaluation ratings (login required)
Many boomers are ill-prepared for retirement: 401k Issues National Public Radio, WCPN, WKSU, others.
Marinova, D., Kozlenkova, I., Cuttler, L., Silvers, J., , .
Consumer Quest for Life Enhancing Treatments: The Role of Agency in New Product Adoption American Marketing Association Winter Meetings.
J.B. Silvers: Ten myths about the reform of health care AkronBeacon-Journal.
Healthcare Insurance Exchanges WKSU, National Public Radio.
Guest Column: Health reform law is the best we can expect Cleveland, OH: Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Interview Comments Cleveland Plain Dealer
Silvers, J., Marinova, D., Cuttler, L.
A National Study of Physician Recommendations to Initiate and Discontinue Growth Hormone for Short Stature (vol. 126, issue 3, pp. 468-476). Pediatrics.
Cuttler, L., Silvers, J.
Growth Hormone and Health Policy (vol. 95, issue July 2010, pp. 3149 – 3153). J Clin Endocrinol Metab.
Cuttler, L., Marinova, D., Mercer, M. B., Connors, A., Meehan, R., Silvers, J.
Patient, Physician, and Consumer Drivers: Referrals for Short Stature and Access to Specialty Drugs (vol. 47, issue 8, pp. 858-865). NY, NY: Medical Care.
Cutler, L., Silvers, J., Singh, J., Tsai, A., Radcliffe, D.
Physician Decisions to Discontinue Long-Term Medications Using a Two Stage Framework: The Case of Growth Hormone Therapy (vol. 43, 12 ed., pp. 1185-1193). Medical Care.
Singh, J., Cuttler, L., Silvers, J.
Toward Understanding Consumers' Role in Medical Decisions for Emerging Treatments: Issues, Framework, and Hypotheses (vol. 57, issue 9, pp. 1054-1065). Journal of Business Research.
Silvers, J., Hammer, P., Haas-Wilson, D., Peterson, M., Sage, W.
The Role of Capital Markets in the Restructuring of Health Care Durham and London: Duke University Press.
Cuttler, L., Finkelstein, B., Silvers, J., Neuhauser, D., Marrero, U.
Physician recommendations vs insurance coverage for growth hormone -- Reply (vol. 280, 12 ed., pp. 1053-1054). JAMA -- Journal of the American Medical Association.
- Silvers, J. 20-30 talks to community and professional groups, "Health Reform", Medical Societies, Business Groups, etc., (2012).
- Silvers, J. 20-30 talks to community and professional groups, "Health Reform", Medical Societies, Business Groups, etc., (2011).
- Cuttler, L. (Presenter & Author), Singer, M. (Author Only), Simpson, L. (Author Only), Gallan, A. (Author Only), Nevar, A. (Author Only), Silvers, J. (Author Only) Supporting Decision-Making Through Research: Findings from the 2008 Ohio Family Health Survey Sponsored Projects, "Obesity in Children and Families Across Ohio", Ohio Department of Health, Columbus, OH. (2009).
Academic and Professional Activities
- Chairperson, Faculty Senate Finance/Budget Committee, 2011 - 2013
- Committee Chair, Faculty Council, 2008 - 2009
- University Senate, Faculty Senate Budget Committee, 2008 - Present
- Task Force Member, American Dental Association, Chicago, Illinois, 2008
- 2009 Health Policy Research Award for Independent Scholarship (with Leona Cuttler, Andrew Gallan, Mendel Singer), Health Policy Institute of Ohio. (2009).
- Who's Who in America, (2002).