Intuitively, we know the relationship between leaders and employees can have dramatic effect on employee contribution and organizational success. Melvin Smith’s research and teaching reveal the structure. His work on the nature of leadership and the role emotional intelligence plays in work relationships is widely recognized for its insight. Smith also studies the connection between social networks and organizational performance. The work has yielded real-world results in public education, healthcare and a variety of other fields.
PhD, University of Pittsburgh, 2002
MBA, Clark Atlanta University, 1986
BS, Purdue University, 1983
Interests and Courses
The Development and Use of Human and Social Capital in Organizations.
Leadership, Emotional Intelligence, Executive Coaching
Recent Courses and SyllabiCourse evaluation ratings (login required)
- Boyatzis, R. E., Smith, M. L., Beveridge, A. J.
Coaching with compassion: Inspiring health, well-being and development in organizations (vol. 49, issue 2, pp. 153-178). Journal of Applied Behavioral Science.
- Boyatzis, R. E., Smith, M. L., Van Oosten, E. B., Woolford, L.
Developing resonant leaders through emotional intelligence, vision and coaching (vol. 42, pp. 17-24). Organizational Dynamics.
- Boyatzis, R. E., Smith, M. L., Van Oosten, E. B., Lauris, W.
Developing Resonant Leaders through Emotional Intelligence, Vision and Coaching (vol. 42, pp. 17-24). Organizational Dynamics.
- Smith, M. L., Bilimoria, D.
The Heart of Leadership: How Leaders Engage with Emotional Intelligence (vol. 29, issue 3, pp. 5). Leadership Excellence.
- Boyatzis, R. E., Smith, M. L., Van Oosten, E. B.
Le coaching compatissant, allie de la sante et du renouveau (vol. 35, issue 3, pp. 41-46). Montreal: Gestion.
- Van Oosten, E. B., Boyatzis, R. E., Smith, M. L.
Coaching for Change (pp. 68-71). People Matters.
- Beveridge, A. J., Smith, M. L.
Is it Worth it? The Effect of Perceived Social Impact on Job Burnout. Southern Management Association.
- Smith, M. L., Van Oosten, E. B., Boyatzis, R. E.
In William Pasmore, Richard Woodman, Rami Shani (Ed.),
Coaching for sustained desired change (vol. 17, pp. 145-174). Research in Organizational Development and Change.
- Smith, M. L.
Social Capital and Intentional Change: Exploring the Role of Social Networks on Individual Change Efforts (vol. 25, pp. 718-731). The Journal of Management Development.
- Smith, M. L.
Emotional Intelligence, Leader-Member Exchange, and Individual Contributions to Social Capital (pp. 169-189). Sharing Network Leadership.
- Boyatzis, R. E., Smith, M. L., Blaize, N. J.
Developing Sustainable Leaders through Coaching and Compassion (pp. 8-24). Academy of Management Learning and Education.
- Van Oosten, E. B., Boyatzis, R. E., Smith, M. L. Coaching for Leadership and Healthcare, "Leading Improvements in Emotional Intelligence and Resonant Leadership Through Coaching", Institute of Coaching, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA. (2011).
- Beveridge, A. J. (Presenter & Author), Smith, M. L. (Author Only) Southern Management Association, "Is it Worth it? The Effect of Perceived Social Impact on Jon Burnout", SMA, Florida. (2010).
- Smith, M. L. Academy of Management Annual Meeting, "Coaching with Compassion: How Daring to Care Can Unleash Human Pontential", AOM, Montreal Canada. (2010).
- Smith, M. L. (Presenter & Author), VanOosten, E. (Presenter & Author), Boyatzis, R. E. (Presenter & Author) Academy of Management Annual Meeting, "Coaching for Sustained Desired Change", Academy of Management, Chicago. (2009).