Professor, Organizational Behavior
Ph.D., University of Chicago, School of Business, 1973
M.B.A., University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, 1966
A.B., Princeton University, 1964
Paul F. Gerhart is Professor of Labor and Human Resource Policy in the Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University. He teaches human resources management and courses in general negotiation and alternative dispute resolution. His previous positions include Assistant Professor at the Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana; and Visiting positions at Zhejiang University, Singapore Institute of Management, University of Glasgow, Cornell University, University of Chicago, Catholic University (Leuven), Arbetslivcentrum (Stockholm), and University of Otago. Publications include two books, two edited volumes on arbitration and a number of articles in scholarly and practitioner journals.
Professor Gerhart is an active labor arbitrator and member of the National Academy of Arbitrators of the U.S. and Canada. He is past Chair of the NAA Research Committee, the Ohio-Kentucky Region and International Studies Committee when he edited a study of employee privacy rights published in the Comparative Labor Law Journal (Fall 1995). Professor Gerhart has served as arbitrator for Coal Industry labor disputes in Alabama, Ohio, West Virginia, Illinois, Utah, Wyoming and New Mexico. In addition he has served as permanent impartial arbitrator in a variety of industries, and as employment arbitrator for the University of Minnesota. He is also on the national labor panels of the U. S. Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service and the American Arbitration Association, and in that capacity has been appointed to over 1100 labor disputes as a neutral arbitrator. He currently hears and decides 20 - 25 labor disputes per year. Professor Gerhart has held industrial relations staff positions at Texas Instruments (Dallas); the Pennsylvania Railroad (Philadelphia) and the Lebanon Steel Foundry (Lebanon, PA), and before completing his studies worked as an underground iron ore miner (Bethlehem Steel, Morgantown, PA), assembler in a boiler factory (Cleaver-Brooks, Lebanon, PA) and as a construction laborer (Princeton, NJ). His hometown is Lebanon, PA in the heart of the Pennsylvania Dutch Country. Professor Gerhart has been awarded the Ph.D. in Business from the University of Chicago, Booth Graduate School of Business; M.B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School; and A.B. in Economics from Princeton University.
Negotiations; Global Human Resources; Collective Bargaining & Union-Management Relations; Compensation
Labor-Management Cooperation; Labor Arbitration
- Gerhart, P. F. (2008). In Alan Miles Ruben (Ed.), Persona non grata adverse employment actions (6th Ed., 2008 Supp. ed., pp. pp 364-369). Arlington, VA: Bureau of National Affairs, Inc..
- Gerhart, P. F. (1996). Reducing Unemployment through Community Efforts to Improve the Labor-Management Relations Climate (vol. 25, issue 1, pp. 115-131). Journal of Socio-Economics.
- Gerhart, P. F. (1995). Employee Privacy Rights in the United States (pp. 175-205). Champaign, IL: Comparative Labor Law Journal (Special Edition).
- Gerhart, P. F. (1995). Employee Privacy Rights: Introduction and Overview (pp. 1-12). Champaign, IL: Comparative Labor Law Journal (Special Edition).
- Gerhart, P. F. National Academy of Arbitrators, Regional Meeting, "Remedies for employees unjustly terminated for alleged violence or threatened violence in the workplace", National Academy of Arbitrators, Columbus, OH. (2009).
Academic and Professional Activities
- Chr: Research Comm; Ohio-Ky Region; Int'l Studies Comm , National Academy of Arbitrators. 1989 - Present
- I served as Asso Academic Integrity Officer, Academic Integrity, 2011 - 2012
- Committee Member, Academic Integrity Committee, 2010 - 2011
- Panelist, University Faculty Senate Faculty Grievance Panel, 2010 - Present
- Chairperson, University Faculty Senate Budget Committee, 2005 - 2006
- Committee Member, Weatherhead School of Management, Faculty Council, 2000 - 2002
- Committee Member, University Faculty Senate Budget Committee, 1988 - 2007
- Committee Member, University Planning and Budget Committee, 1988 - 2007
- Chairperson, University Faculty Senate, 1988 - 1989
- Committee Chair, University Faculty Senate Benefits Committee, 1987 - 1988
- Vice-Chairman, University Faculty Senate, 1987 - 1988
- Committee Member, University Faculty Senate: Executive Committee, 1986 - 2006
- Committee Chair, Weatherhead School of Management, Council, 1985 - 1986
- University Senate, University Faculty Senate, 1984 - 2007
- Committee Member, Weatherhead School of Management, Council, 1981 - 1988
- Committee Member, University Employee Benefits Committee, 1981 - 1987
- Neutral Arbitrator, Mediator or Fact Finder, Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, 1972 - Present
- Ford Fellowship, Ford Foundation. (1966).
- Joseph Wharton Scholar, Wharton School, Univ of Penn. (1964).