Michele D. Meckfessel, CPA, received her BA in mathematics from Illinois Wesleyan University. Following nearly 10 years as a naval helicopter pilot, she received her master’s degree in accounting with a concentration in taxation from Appalachian State University. Prior to pursuing her PhD at Virginia Tech, Meckfessel worked as a CPA in Charlotte, North Carolina. As a CPA, Meckfessel performed special-project corporate tax work with McGladrey & Pullen, LLP; and Grant Thornton LLP. Meckfessel’s current research is focused on determining detrimental corporate tax aggressiveness and the impact of corporate disclosure readability. Her teaching interests include taxation and financial accounting and reporting.
Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2012
M.Acc., Appalachian State University, 2003
B.A., Illinois Wesleyan University, 1991
Interests and Courses
Recent Courses and Syllabi
- - Corporate Reporting I
- - Introduction to Financial Accounting
- - Tax Practice: Analysis, Planning and Communications
Sellers, R. D., Meckfessel, M.
The Scope-of-Services Controversy Post SOX AAA Annual Meeting.
Reasonable Compensation: A Reasonable Standard? Journal of Legal Tax Research.
The SEC's Impact on Earnings Disclosure Readability AAA Emerging Technologies In Accounting Section Mid-Year Meeting.
- Meckfessel, M. Emerging Technologies in Accounting Mid-Year Meeting, "The SEC's Impact on Earning Disclosure Readability", American Accounting Association, (2013).
- Meckfessel, M. 2012 Ohio Region Annual Meeting, "The SEC's Impact on Earnings Disclosure Readability", AAA, (2012).
- Meckfessel, M. Annual Public Interest Section Meeting, "The SEC's Impact on Earnings Disclosure Readability", American Accounting Association, Orlando, Fl. (2012).
Academic and Professional Activities
- American Taxation Association. 2010 - Present
- Reviewer, Conference Paper, CTLA, Solon, OH, 2013
- Reviewer, Conference Paper, American Accounting Association, Solon, OH, 2013
- Reviewer, Conference Paper, Ohio Region Mid-Year Meeting, Solon, OH, 2013
- Attendee, Orientation, Freshman Orientation, 2012
- Reviewer, Textbook, Pearson Publishing, Solon, OH, 2012