Professor, Organizational Behavior
Ph.D., The University of Michigan, 1990
M.M.S., University of Bombay, 1983
B.Com., University of Bombay, 1981
Dr. Diana Bilimoria researches and teaches topics that include: How do individuals achieve their fullest potential as leaders and contributors in organizations? What facilitates women and minority group members becoming full participants in organizations, top management teams, and boardrooms? How can workplaces tap into all the capabilities of leadership and diversity? She is an expert in how leadership development can transform individuals, groups, and organizations. Her studies have helped corporate, educational, and nonprofit organizations reinvent themselves and establish practices that attract and retain a high-performance, diverse workforce.
Leadership; Gender, Diversity and Inclusion in Organizations; Emotional Intelligence
(1) Gender diversity, equity, and inclusion in governance and leadership
(2) Transformation of higher education institutions
- Smith, M. L., Bilimoria, D. (2012). The Heart of Leadership: How Leaders Engage with Emotional Intelligence (vol. 29, 3 ed., pp. 5). Leadership Excellence.
- Bilimoria, D. (2012). Inclusive Leadership (vol. 29, 3 ed., pp. 13). Leadership Excellence.
- Bilimoria, D., Liang, X. (2012). Gender Equity in Science and Engineering: Advancing Change in Higher Education New York: Routledge.
- Bilimoria, D., Buch, K. (2010). Engendering Faculty Diversity through More Effective Search and Recruitment (vol. , July/August ed., pp. 27-32). Change .
- O'Neil, D. A., Hopkins, M. M., Bilimoria, D. (2009). Developing Women Athletes: Insights from Business and Management (vol. 1, pp. 73-96). Annual Review of High Performance Coaching and Consulting.
- O'Neil, D. A., Hopkins, M. M., Bilimoria, D. (2008). Women’s Careers at the Start of the 21st Century: Patterns and Paradoxes (vol. 80, issue 4, pp. 727-743). Journal of Business Ethics.
- Bilimoria, D., Joy, S., Liang, X. (2008). Breaking Barries and Creating Includiveness: Lessons of Organizational Transformation to Advance Women Faculty in Academic Science and Engineering (vol. 47, issue 3, pp. 423-441). Human Resources Management.
- Hopkins, M. M., Bilimoria, D. (2008). Social and Emotional Competencies Predicting Success for Male and Female Executives (vol. 27, issue 1, pp. 13-35). Journal of Management Development.
- Hopkins, M. M., O'Neil, D. A., Passarelli, A., Bilimoria, D. (2008). Women's Leadership Development: Strategies for Women and Organizations (vol. 60, issue 4, pp. 348-365). Consulting Psychology Journal: Research and Practice.
- McInerney-Lacombe, N., Bilimoria, D., Salipante, P. F. (2008). In S. Vinnicombe, V. Singh, R.J. Burke, D. Bilimoria, M.Huse (Ed.), Championing the Discussion of Tough Issues: How Women Corporate Directors Contribute to Board Deliberations (pp. 123-139). Northhampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- Bilimoria, D. (2008). In Vinnicombe, S., Singh, V., Burke, R. J., Bilimoria, D. & Huse, M. (Ed.), Directions for Future Research on Women on Corporate Boards of Directors (pp. 233-240). Northhampton, MA: Women on Corporate Boards of Directors: Research and Practice.
- Vinnicombe, S., Singh, V., Burke, R. J., Bilimoria, D., Huse, M. (2008). Women on Corporate Boards of Directors: International Research and Practice Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- Bilimoria, D., Piderit, S. K. (2007). Handbook on Women in Business and Management Northhampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- Bilimoria, D., Hopkins, M. M., O'Neil, D. A., Perry, S. (2007). In Stewart, Abigail J.; Malley, Janet; LaVaque-Manty, Danielle (Ed.), Executive Coaching: An Effective Strategy for Faculty Development (pp. 187-203). Ann Arbor, Michigan: Transforming Science and Engineering: Advancing Academic Women, University of Michigan Press.
- Zandee, D. P., Bilimoria, D. (2007). Institutional Transformation Through Positive Textual Deviance (vol. 27, issue 11/12, pp. 469-482). International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy.
- Bilimoria, D., Godwin, L., Zelechowski, D. D. (2007). In Bilimoria, Diana; Piderit, Sandy Kristin (Ed.), Influence and Inclusion: A Framework for Researching Womens Advancement to the Top of Organizations (pp. 232-253). Northhampton, MA: Handbook on Women in Business and Management, Edward Elgar Publications.
- Boyatzis, R. E., Bilimoria, D., Godwin, L., Hopkins, M. M., Lingham, A. (2006). In Yuval Neria, Raz Cross, Randall Marshall and Ezra Susser (Ed.), Effective Leadership in Extreme Crisis (pp. Chapter 13, 197-214). NY: Mental Health in the Wake of Terrorist Attacks, Cambridge University Press.
- Bilimoria, D., Perry, S., Liang, X., Higgins, P., Stoller, E., Taylor, C. (2006). How do Female and Male Faculty Members Construct Job Satisfaction? The Roles of Perceived Institutional LEadership and Mentoring and their Mediating Processes (vol. 32, 3 ed., pp. 355-365). Journal of Technology Transfer.
- Hopkins, M. M., O'Neil, D. A., Bilimoria, D. (2006). Effective Leadership and Successful Career Advancement: Perspectives from Women in Health Care (vol. 25, issue 4, pp. 251-271). Equal Opportunities International.
- Zelechowski, D. D., Bilimoria, D. (2006). Characteristics of CEOs and Boards with Women Inside Directors (vol. 2, 2 ed., pp. 14-21). Corporate Board: Roles Duties and Composition.
- Boyatzis, R. E., Bilimoria, D., Godwin, L., Hopkins, M., Lingham, T. (2006). In R. Gross, Y. Neria, R. Marshall, and E. Susser (Ed.), Mental Health in the Wake of Terrorist Attacks: Effective leadership in extreme crisis (pp. 197-214). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Bilimoria, D. (2006). The Relationship Between Women Corporate Directors and Women Cormporate Officers (vol. 18, issue 1, pp. 47-61). Journal of Managerial Issues.
- Zelechowski, D. D., Bilimoria, D., Haug, R. (2006). Female Directors, CEO Characteristics, and Board Structure (vol. 6, issue 1, pp. 189-196). Journal of Academy of Business and Economics.
- O'Neil, D. A., Bilimoria, D. (2005). Women's Career Development Phases: Idealism, Endurance, and Reinvention (vol. 10, issue 3, pp. 168-193). Career Development International.
- Bilimoria, D., Godwin, L. (2005). In Ronald R. Sims & Scott A. Quatro (Ed.), Engaging People's Passion: Leadership for the New Century (pp. 260-279). Armonk, NY: Leadership: Succeeding in the Private, Public, and Not-for-Profit Sectors, M.E. Sharpe, Inc..
- Zelechowski, D. D., Bilimoria, D. (2004). Characteristics of Women and Men Corporate Inside DIrectors (vol. 12, issue 3, pp. 337-342). Corporate Governance-An Internal Review.
- Hopkins, M., Bilimoria, D. (2004). Care and Justice Orientations in Workplace Ethical Dilemmas of Women Business Owners (vol. 29, issue 4, pp. 495-517). Group and Organization Management.
- O'Neil, D. A., Bilimoria, D., Saatcioglu, A. (2004). Women's Career Types: Attributions of Satisfaction with Career Success (vol. 9, issue 5, pp. 478-500). Career Development International.
- Zelechowski, D. D., Bilimoria, D. (2003). The Experience of Women Corporate Inside Directors on the Boards of Fortune 1000 Firms (vol. 18, issue 7, pp. 376-381). Women in Management Review.
- Bernstein, R. S., Bilimoria, D. Diversity Perspectives and Minority Nonprofit Board Member Inclusion Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal.
- Buse, K. R., Bilimoria, D., Perelli, S. Why They Stay: Women Persisting in US Engineering Careers Career Development International.
- Bilimoria, D. Poster at NSF ADVANCE PI Meeting, "Academic Careers in Engineering and Science (ACES): An Overview of the NSF Advance Award (2003-2008) at Case Western Reserve University,", NSF, Washington, D.C.. (2008).
Academic and Professional Activities
- Officer, President/Elect/Past, Academy of Management, GDO Division, 2011 - 2012
- Committee Chair, PhD Admissions Committee, 2010
- Program Organizer, Academy of Management, GDO Division, 2009 - 2010
- Committee Member, Faculty Affiliates Council, Inamori International Center for Ethics and Excellence, 2008 - Present
- Committee Member, Advisory Committee, University Center for Innovation in Teaching and Education , 2008 - 2011
- Committee Member, Appointments Committee, 2004 - Present
- Committee Member, Steering Committee of the Flora Stone Mather Center for Women, 2003 - Present
- Committee Member, Program Faculty, Mandel Center for Nonprofit Organizations, 1993 - 2012
- ATHENA Award Finalist, ATHENA Foundation and Inside Business Magazine. (2013).
- Excellence in Higher Education Leadership Award, American Council on Education (ACE) Ohio Women’s Network. (2012).
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Gender and Diversity in Organizations Division, Academy of Management . (2012).
- Michael J. Driver Best Careers Paper in the Midwest Region 2009 , Careers Division, Academy of Management. (2009).
- Prize for Women's Scholarship, Flora Stone Mather Center for Women's Spotlight Series, Case Western Reserve University. (2007).
- Best Symposium Award, Careers Division, Academy of Management Conference. (2005).
- Doctoral Teaching Excellence Award, Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western Reserve University. (2002).
- Anbar Golden Page Award for the Most Original Content, Awarded for editorship of the Journal of Management Education. ANBAR Electronic Intelligence. (1999).
- Exceptional Leadership and Service Award, Organizational Behavior Division, the Academy of Management Conference. (1999).
- Outstanding Service Award, Organization and Management Theory Division, the Academy of Management Conference. (1997).