Assistant Professor, Organizational Behavior
Ph.D., University of Michigan Business School, 2001
M.B.A., University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, 1987
B.A., University of Michigan, School of Literature, Science & Arts, 1981
Organizational Behavior, Teamwork, Research Methods, Complex Systems
Professor Coen thinks about why people cooperate in teams and how managers can get them to cooperate more often. She investigates cooperative dynamics within teams, between teams, and how to design teams to elicit productive interdependence.
- Coen, C. A. (2013). In Eric van Dijk, Craig D. Parks and Paul A.M. van Lange (Ed.), Relative performance and implicit incentives in the intergroup prisoner's dilemma (vol. 120, issue 2, pp. 181-190). New York, NY: Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes/Elsevier.
- Coen, C. A., Schnackenberg, A. (2011). In Marks, Michele, Zaccaro, Steven, DeChurch, Leslie (Ed.), Complex systems methods for studying multi-team systems Arlington, VA: Routledge, Taylor & Francis .
- Millhiser, W., Coen, C. A., Solow, D. (2011). Understanding the role of worker interdependence in team selection (vol. 22, issue 3, pp. 772-787). Organization Science.
- Coen, C. A., Maritan, C. A. (2011). Investing in capabilities: The dynamics of resource allocation (vol. 22, issue 1, pp. 99-117). Organization Science.
- Coen, C. A. (2009). Contrast or assimilation: Comparing simple vs. realistic models (vol. 15, issue 1, pp. 19-25). Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory.
- Coen, C. A. (2006). Seeking the comparative advantage: The dynamics of individual cooperation in single vs. multiple team environments (vol. 100, issue 2, pp. 145-159). Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
- Coen, C. A. (2006). Mixing rules: When to cooperate in the multiple team context (vol. 14, issue 4, pp. 423-437). Simulation Modeling Practice and Theory.
- Coen, C. A. ESSA 2012 – 8th Conference, "How Competition Mitigates the Social Dilemma", European Social Simulation Association, Salzburg, Austria. (2012).
- Coen, C. A. 2012 INGRoup conference, "Reinforcing cooperation: Decision processes in the intergroup vs. single group prisoner’s dilemma", INGRoup, Chicago, IL. (2012).
- Coen, C. A. (Presenter & Author) West Meets East, the 2011 Academy of Management Conference, "Beyond Aggregation of Variables: Complex Systems Approach to Process in Group-Level Models", Academy of Management, San Antonio, TX. (2011).
Academic and Professional Activities
- Editor, Associate Editor, Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory, New York, NY, 2006 - Present
- Panelist, National Science Foundation, Human and Social Dynamics, 2004
- Outstanding Leadership and Contribution Award, Academy of Management. (2008).
- Positive Influence on Students Graduating in 2003, SUNY at Buffallo. (2005).
- Professional Development Award, United University Professors. (2005).