(Formerly “Media Relations: Image, Positioning, and Crisis Control“)
An organization’s image can be built or destroyed in the media. The ability to represent oneself and one’s organization positively, clearly, and honestly in the media and with the public is a key business skill. This comprehensive training seminar develops the insight, communications capability and confidence to deal effectively with the media during everyday business activities and in crisis situations.
Multi-media mock interviews and press conferences will give attendees (who choose to participate) real-world, on-camera experience. Individual critiques, coaching, and training will guide them in developing a skill set and sense of confidence to work effectively with the media.
All attendees will learn the steps to prepare a crisis communication plan to meet the challenges and speak positively to issues during any crisis situation.
- The role of the media in business
- What are the objectives of the business reporter?
- Thinking like a reporter to be prepared
- Preparing for a press conference/interview
- Key message points
- Controlling body language
- Pausing for emphasis and redirect
- Is saying this is “off the record” ever the right thing to say?
- Damage control
- Debriefing and learning
- How to be prepared when a crisis or potential negative situation occurs
- Confidence not defensiveness when “20/20” is knocking on your door
- When it’s right to say “No Comment”
- Preparing for the next crisis
- Key message points
- How to rephrase potential volatile questions
- Protecting the company’s brand and positioning in the marketplace
As a result of attending this program, participants will:
- Gain insight on what the media looks for in an interview
- Understand the benefit of advance preparation for crisis situations and how to involve and prepare all team members in the organization
- Gain knowledge and confidence in effectively communicating to protect the company’s image, brand and perception in the marketplace
- Develop skills in teamwork, clear communications, and preparedness
Who Should Attend
Executives, general managers, technical and area-specific personnel who may speak with the media in a crisis situation or provide information to the spokesperson who does.
Individual Participants: $645
Package Pricing: 1 class day per participant