Many companies focus on discreet “job skills” that are important for an employee “to do the job”. Hiring and promotion decisions are often based upon those job skills. Even with this focus on discreet and measurable skills, some employees do poorly. What is missing? Skills can be taught, measured and improved, so aren’t they enough?
The fact is we all know that it takes more than just the bare essentials to make a successful employee. There are important critical success factors that are sometimes difficult to define or measure — factors like drive, initiative, attitude, and so on. Many of these less easily defined factors are termed “competencies”. And it is competencies that often have the greatest impact on an employee’s success and promotability. The most successful organizations and leaders who want to raise the bar on talent tend to look beyond job skills and job description to select, develop and challenge their people. They look at competencies.
This workshop will give leaders a greater understanding of what talent management is all about — and their role in managing the talent that reports to them. Participants will practice identifying, selecting and using competencies. They will explore how competencies can be used to supplement or improve how they select, manage and develop the employees that report to them. This highly interactive workshop is important for managers at all levels who are responsible for hiring, leading, and developing their team members.
|Instructor||Date and Time||Location|
May 14, 2014, 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM
||Cleveland, OH||Add to Cart|
- Skills vs. competencies
- The role of competencies in hiring, performance management, succession planning and career development
- Competency model examples
- Group practice: competency sort and prioritization
- Exercise: competency approach to talent management
- Behavior-based interviewing
- Exercise: behavior-based questions
As a result of attending this program, participants will:
- Differentiate between skills and competencies
- Enhance job and role descriptions to skills + competencies
- Incorporate competencies into leadership and management practices and decisions around talent
Who Should Attend
Leaders across all functional areas who make internal and external talent decisions.
Individual Participants: $645
Package Pricing: 1 class day per participant