The success of companies like Apple, Samsung, Google and Nike demonstrates that design is a powerful strategic capability for competitive organizations. Some organizations hire design consulting firms to improve their product or brand design, others expand their design organizations to bring design capability in house. Despite its growing strategic importance, however, there still is a lack of clear understanding among managers on what exactly is design. Many managers still consider design as a functional skill, albeit important, within new product development or marketing and reduce its significance to product aesthetics.
Although aesthetics is an important element of good design, design should not be simply understood in terms of superficial beauty of a product or a logo. Instead, it must be understood in a much broader and strategic context. Yet, precisely how to manage and organize design as a key strategic capability is not known to most organizations.
This seminar presents design as a key strategic capability in organizations that must be actively managed and nurtured. Through case studies and interactive discussion, participants will learn how to assess their organization’s design capability and how to develop it.
|Instructor||Date and Time||Location|
|Youngjin Yoo, Ph.D.||Friday, May 2 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
||Cleveland, OH||Event has Passed|
Youngjin Yoo, Ph.D.
Date and Time:
Friday, May 2 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Event has Passed
- Design as a strategic capability in organizations
- Design capability development model
- How to configure design capability as organizations grow
- Relationship between top management and design
As a result of attending this program, participants will:
- Make the business case for design investment
- Learn the four components of design capability
- Learn how to assess your organization’s design capability
- Learn how to develop a strategic plan for improving design capability
- Learn how to build strategic relationship between top management and design organization
Who Should Attend
Managers in the areas of marketing and strategy innovation, IT and organization change. Pairs or groups of managers from the same company should attend together for maximum benefit.
Individual Participants: $645
Package Pricing: 1 class day per participant