How will you ensure continued learning opportunities for youth this summer? Visit the National Summer Learning Association to find out more.
Upcoming Conferences and Other Opportunities
Regional Professional Development Opportunities
- Open Meadows Foundation
Deadline: August 15, 2014
Grants promote gender/racial/economic justice. Grants will be given to projects that: Are designed and implemented by women and girls; Reflect the diversity of the community served by the project in both its leadership and organization; Promote building community power; and Have limited financial access or have encountered obstacles in their search for funding.
- Foundations Center for Afterschool and Expanded Learning
Year-Long Webinar Series
Discounted price on membership that provides 18 1-hour live webinars on a variety of topics.
- America’s Promise Alliance – nation’s largest partnership dedicated to improving the lives of children and youth.
- Appolicious – The education section of Appolicious is a listing of thousands of educational applications(free or low cost) with descriptions and reviews. It’s a great place to go if you’re looking for something new, or just to check something out before you buy it.
- Child Trends – nonprofit, nonpartisan research center that studies children at all stages of development.
- Children’s Defense Fund – non-profit child advocacy organization that has worked relentlessly for nearly 40 years to ensure a level playing field for all children.
- Corporation for National and Community Service – federal agency that engages more than 5 million Americans in service through Senior Corps, AmeriCorps, and Learn and Serve America, and leads President Obama's national call to service initiative, United We Serve.
- National Institute of Out-of-School Time – has moved the afterschool field forward through its research, education and training, consultation, and field-building for nearly 30 years.
- Ohio Afterschool Network – supports children, youth, families, and communities by advocating and building capacity with a unified voice for sustainable investments in safe, healthy, and nurturing afterschool experiences.
- Out-of-School Time Resource Center – at the University of Pennsylvania: promotes youth achievement by supporting staff and enriching programs.
- PerformWell – is a collaborative effort initiated by Urban Institute, Child Trends, and Social Solutions. By providing information and tools to measure program quality and outcomes, PerformWell helps human services practitioners deliver more effective social programs.
- Planning for Life After High School – According to the landmark study ‘High Hopes, Long Odds,’ many students and families do not have the information and guidance they need to pursue their postsecondary goals and dreams. And yet, attaining additional education after high school is essential in the 21st century economy. Learn how best to help students attain the education and training they need to pursue their dreams in IYI’s latest Issue Brief, Planning for Life After High School.
- Program in Education, Afterschool & Resiliency – is dedicated to making meaningful theoretical and practical contributions to youth development, school reform and prevention.
- Step It Up 2 Thrive – provides you with instructions and resources to help youth envision and work towards their full potential.
- The Forum for Youth Investment – nonprofit, nonpartisan “action tank” dedicated to helping communities and the nation make sure all young people are Ready by 21®: ready for college, work and life.
- United Way Out-of-School Time Toolkit – This toolkit is a resource to United Ways and their community partners who seek to deepen their out-of-school time efforts so that more young people have access to quality programs.
- University of Minnesota Youth Work Institute – help to create positive, out-of-school time, non-formal learning opportunities for young people throughout Minnesota through research, training, and delivering youth programs.
Articles of Note by Subject:
- Active Hours Afterschool: Childhood Obesity Prevention and Afterschool Programs (2006)
- Afterschool and Healthy Youth (2004)
- Early Childhood Policy Focus: Healthy Eating and Physical Activity (2011)
- What Works for the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity Among Children: Lessons from Experimental Evaluations of Programs and Interventions (2010)
- Afterschool and Service-Learning (2004)
- Designing a service-learning program in ten steps
- Harnessing the Trojan Horse: Future Directions in Service Learning
- Outlining steps for planning, implementing, and assessing a service-learning project
- Youth Voice: A Guide for Engaging Youth in Leadership and Decision-Making in Service-Learning Programs