This three-session series is designed to provide a framework for youth work based on best practices. Facilitators will cover research and promising/evidence-based concepts and their application to youth work practices. This series aligns with national and state guidelines of core knowledge and competencies for afterschool professionals.* Youth Work Practices creates the space professionals need to reflect on best/promising practices and their current practice to create a continuous improvement process.
- Apply theories of adolescent growth and development to planning and practice
- Articulate, evaluate and/or apply current theories and research related to promoting physical, cognitive, and social/emotional development
- Reflect on the effectiveness of learning environments and curriculum to meet individual youth needs, interests, development and skill levels, and make appropriate accommodations
- Support the implementation of curricular activities that celebrate and are informed by youth culture and voice
- Connect teaching and learning approaches to the experiences and cultures of the community
Day 1: Positive Youth Development
- Describe adolescent brain development
- Discuss positive youth development and resiliency
Day 2: The YOU in youth work!
- Explore culture of youth and youth work
- Identify intergenerational approaches to working with youth
- Develop strategies for incorporating cultural competence in youth work
Day 3: Youth Program Quality Framework
- Practice application of youth development concepts
- Assess current practice
- Apply new learning into current practice
Intended Audience: Youth serving professionals, particularly those who work directly with youth* National Afterschool Association Core Knowledge and Competencies for Afterschool and Youth Development Professionals, Adopted September 2011 Ohio’s Core Knowledge & Competencies, Published September 2009
Continue to check back for more information regarding our next offering of Youth Work Practices being held in September or email us to be added to our mailing list.