The Weatherhead School of Management's Designing Sustainable Systems track in the PhD in Management program offers an extension to the Doctor of Management for those who wish to reorient their careers to formally pursue positions as academic researchers and scholars.
Students admitted to this trans-disciplinary track will devote an additional year to research and seminar-format study to expand their research portfolio. The Designing Sustainable Systems track in the PhD in Management program allows for a focused, rigorous, and independent study that meets the requirements of the PhD in Management in a major research university. This track represents a new model of doctoral education in management. It takes a broader, evidence-based approach to management issues. The research incorporates perspectives from new thinking about design, sustainability, and complex systems as they relate to management in an increasingly global environment.
Although trans-disciplinary research is the main focus of the Designing Sustainable Systems track in the PhD in Management program, candidates are also expected to be grounded in a disciplinary field as demonstrated by successfully passing a comprehensive examination. Students are responsible for reading seminal works throughout their course of study in the DM program and the Designing Sustainable Systems track in the PhD in Management program leading to a grounding in their chosen discipline such marketing, accounting, economics, entrepreneurship, finance, information systems, organizational behavior, or strategy.
Weatherhead is once again at the forefront of innovation in doctoral education in management by offering the first residency-based Designing Sustainable Systems track in the PhD in Management program that is intended to create an arena for promoting evidence-based management and preparing experienced executives for careers in research universities.
- Aspire to an academic career or a research position with significant research element.
- Want to deepen their knowledge in a field substantially to become one of the world's best experts in that domain.
- Seek significant and sustained intellectual challenges.
- Desire to investigate a trans-disciplinary field that has managerial implications.
- Are open to feedback and constructive criticism on their research from their advising committee.
- Enjoy presenting research work and engaging in intellectual arguments around its contribution, methods and substance.
Get in touch with us