Is This Program Right for Me?
The purpose of the DM program is to develop thought leaders for the advancement of business and society. A Weatherhead Doctor of Management student combines a disciplined approach to scholarship with a focus on compelling problems of practice.
Candidates conduct several rigorous studies during the program that introduce them to the theories, practices, and techniques of evidence-based management. The DM experience is intended to equip graduates with the requisite skills to apply evidence-based management in their organizations, to engage and prepare for self-directed lifelong learning in management research, and for teaching duties in universities. DM students may apply to the Designing Sustainable Systems track in the Ph.D. in Management program thereby extending their coursework an additional year. This fourth year is dedicated to independent doctoral studies and research workshops that permit students to meet the requirements of a Ph.D. in Management offered by the School of Graduate studies. During both the Doctor of Management and the Ph.D. in Management programs students are required to prepare and submit their research papers to appropriate high quality academic conferences for review and presentation. A core goal for both programs is for students to make original intellectual contributions while enrolled in the programs.
Ask Yourself the Following Questions:
- Am I intellectually curious?
- Do I enjoy reading and expressing my own ideas in writing?
- Do I get satisfaction from working with concepts and seeing patterns and relationships between ideas?
- Do I believe that important organizational and social issues can be addressed through the development of knowledge?
- Am I receptive to learning through systematic inquiry, both qualitative and quantitative?
- Do I have the motivation to conduct solid research and contribute to applied knowledge?
- Can I contribute to a diverse community seeking to build concepts about how the world works?
- Do I have the drive and time to complete a rigorous, three-year doctoral degree?
Benefit to Participants
Our DM offers experienced executives unparalleled benefits:
- An understanding of managing organizations in the context of broad issues, such as culture and politics, technology and social system design, and institutional approaches to problem solving
- A trans-disciplinary, integrative, global perspective on critical organizational and social issues
- A unique approach to intellectual inquiry emphasizing the integration of theory and practice
- The opportunity to define and conduct issue-oriented research allowing participants to customize their studies and to contribute to applied management knowledge
- Intellectual development and personal growth as an individual, as an executive, and as a contributor to the scholarly community and to society
- A prestigious doctoral degree in management achieved through a rigorous, structured, and comprehensive educational experience for the working professional
Value to Organizations
To compete effectively in today’s complex world, organizations require leaders who:
- Engage in thinking and analysis based upon a global perspective and understanding of viewpoints held by diverse constituencies
- Possess heightened issue identification and resolution skills to be applied in business management practice
- Understand interdependencies between organizations and the societies in which they function
- Maintain an active network of peers within and outside of an organization
- Commit to the principles of lifelong learning and personal development in order to enhance their value to an organization
Weatherhead's unique practitioner-scholar orientation will allow you to:
- Conduct studies and projects on issues, problems, and opportunities of significance to your organization
- Test, evaluate, and develop a more sophisticated understanding and assumptions about global trends that will affect your organization and community
- Gain perspective on the worldwide challenges and opportunities that will impact the plans, strategies, and policies guiding your organization in the long term